OT: Presbyopia, or "Old Guy Eyes"

True enough.

On the other hand..pot does make you stupid.

And thats not a very sucessful way to go through life.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

How many tons did you smoke?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

With what is coming out of schools the last few years and those that are running our country, I don't think POT can do any more damage.

Jamie.

Reply to
Jamie

Problem #1: market shows strong signs of saturation; the cost of doing something new skyrockets, the rate of return of investments sour. The billion gates/cores stuff is limited by the cost/capacity of human developers. There will be a path of minor improvements and the cost reduction for whatever is available now; btw semi custom chips (as opposed to PCBs) is just a question of price. The govt agencies will keep raising absurd requirements to keep everybody busy. The nearest big thing is likely to be fully automatic cars; but it won't change the perspective. The breakthrough could be quasi-biologic micromachines and the direct interface to brain.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

The nearest big thing is likely to be fully automatic disposal of politicians :-) ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Just the people who know better will have a dispute with the people who know even better. "We the people" will be disposed.

BTW, Pantelje is calling for the Great French Revolution; I don't know how you and him got something in common :-)

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

My real name is Citizen LaFarge ;-) ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

I didn't need glasses until I was ~55. Then my eyes changed fairly suddenly. I could only use drugstore cheaters for a few months and then straight to bifocals.

Mine optimized for about 24" on top and 12" on the bottoms. The latest pair I have is a little too strong on the bottom. I should get a set for distance and intermediate, too, because somehow I picked up an astigmatism that affects everything. Though not really bad enough to *require* correction it gets annoying.

Reply to
krw

Yep, we just went to 0402s for the high rollers. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Maybe so, but that doesn't justify clapping some kid in irons and throwing him into an iron cage.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Problem is, how do we implement this plan, when the politicians are the ones that make the rules?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So, I'm wondering, "How small is that?" and I googled, and got Wiki:

Holy Yikes! "0402 (1005 metric) : 0.04" × 0.02" (1.0 mm × 0.5 mm) "

I grind black pepper coarser than that! =:-O

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, clearly we need a better way to program computers, and FPGAs, than typing out millions of lines of code, with about one bug every 10 lines or so. I don't know what it is, but the way we're doing things now doesn't work very well.

John

For some arcane reason, this prompted me to google "electronics reads minds", without the quotes, and holy yikes:

"Japan's vending machines sell chilled bananas, read minds"

But, through it all, somebody's got to write the code, so far.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

0402s are still large enough to hand solder fairly easily, under a Mantis, of course. Our pick and place doesn't have any problems with them either but we only bought twelve feeders and nozzles. After the common parts, we didn't think we'd save much over 0603s. Going to 0402s has turned out to be a piece of cake though.

Oh, and we're behind the curve. We get samples of 0201s and 0105s (?) but our PnP won't handle them so they aren't of much interest. They *do* look like pepper.

Reply to
krw

True indeed. Ive been quite clear that all "drugs" should be legalized for many years.

The War on (some) Drugs has been a pyramid scheme of ever increaseing expenses and bloat.

Its cheaper to simply pay for those hooked on drugs to go through the cure, than it is in crime costs, incarceration and other expenses.

And one simply looks at Prohibition ...it created more alcoholics then having no prohibition did. Which is one of the reasons it was rescinded in just a few years.

And I say this, from the stand point of once having been a police officer for a number of years.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What use would be cities on the moon?

John

The code is one aspect of the triple problem: the code, the data and the testing.

BTW, while ago AD used to make micromodules with the performance similar to the good opamps of today. Of course, those modules were much larger, drained x10 power and were x100 more expensive compared to the modern opamps, but they performed just as good.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Gunner Asch on Sun, 10 Oct 2010 01:20:24 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Great Uncle Nate. Used to stop at the tavern for a beer or two. Then prohibition came, and he switched to getting a bottle of the hard stuff. Apparently, couldn't handle that as well.

There was a time when drunkenness was not merely a crime, but worthy of derision. We laughed at drunks, made fun of them. And 'drugs' were worse, those were a scandal. Bad enough to be a drunk, but a dope?

tschus pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

On a sunny day (Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:20:53 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Send your prisoners there?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje