OT: plants grow better with death metal music... than with classical, even?!

Say hello to lower food prices...

Mythbusters Research:

(Part 1; I love their choice for death metal)
(Part 2: results)

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Yup. Double-blind on meth ;-) ...Jim Thompson

LOL, no. :) They even discovered their irrigation supply failed in the middle of the experiment, but at least it failed for all of the plants...

I wonder how the beans would like Evanescence... xD

Someone posted something about basil preferring jazz.

Future research: record the musical preferences of each type of food- bearing plant... =3D)

-- Michael Sacramento, CA

Reply to
Michael

Then the results were pretty much meaningless, eh? A protocol could have been established where the sound channels were assigned randomly and the sounds turned off whenever anyone went in to tend the plants or to grade the results. Failure to do so means that the outcome is quite worthless.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

There were a bunch of them (what, 5 scientists? I forget how many exactly) and they could have done a better job, certainly, but I was frankly surprised that there was any difference in growth at all with exposing the plants to sound.

I'm curious to see how the increased mass of food product, if any, compares with the additional cost of audio amplifier electricity + amortization of audio amplifier + speaker costs...

Michael

Reply to
Michael