OT: Filtering Water

Our neighborhood is getting old, a water main broke a week ago. We didn't even notice, since the switchover to another path was seamless.

But two days ago, after the repair, when the switch back to that pipe occurred, we got a slug of very fine sand.

Plugged up several shower heads, but worse, it also plugged up the grit screen in the washing machine, stopping cold water flow :-(

So I had to pull the washer up out of its recess, take the valve out and clean its screens... PITA :-(

Anyone familiar with any quick-change-out filters that I could insert, say in-line with the hoses, to make the job less painful? ...Jim Thompson

You seem bored Jim, find something useful to spend your energy on. Maybe some volunteering organisation.

Reply to
Dennis

[snip]

I don't know who you are, Dennis, but you seem a little dense. That was not the question.

I also guarantee you that I do far more community support than anyone else here, except perhaps Joerg... and I don't tolerate ignorami.

Show me a useful circuit post and I'll re-evaluate your status. ...Jim Thompson

You might get constructive responses if you post your question to a more relevant newsgroup, such as alt.home.repair, unless you're looking for a challenge to design an electronic solution for your problem. Just a thought. Good luck.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Hmmmm ... I wonder if you could jury rig something like those old carburetor bowl filters where the crud would drop to the bottom.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Home depot or Lowes carries cartridge whole house water filters. I believe they are made by GE.

I pre-filter mine with a filament style filter followed by an activated carbon filter. Works really nice. Water taste better, gets rid of the Cl, and keeps sediment out of the water heater.

tm

Reply to
tm

Well Jim, of late you seem to be posting all sorts of weird questions, many of which would be solved via a quick google search. It's kind of like you've retired & are searching for things to spend your time on.

As for me posting a useful circuit - thats unlikely, even after a few decades I'm still a pretty green and look to learning from experts like yourself and the many others like you who post here.

Oh, good on you for doing what ever volly work you do.

Reply to
Dennis

in

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Except when he's the ignorant party - as he very frequently is.

Don't bother. Jim designs integrated circuits for a living and his criteria don't make much sense for people who buy integrated circuits and put them together. He'll also figure in your political opinions, and if you don't think that the Tea Party is soft on communism he'll probably write you off as a dangerous left-winger.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Google "sediment filter".  Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Culligan-HF-360-Sediment-Filter-Housing/dp/B000BQUPZ8
Reply to
John Fields

[snip]

Goggle gives answers, I want opinions from people I've grown to trust. ...Jim Thompson

Thanks, John, looks good! ...Jim Thompson

Thanks, John! ...Jim Thompson

There are whole-house water filters, of course (and in some locales, they may be sensible). Some kind of check/maintainence provision has to be made, and expect to replace a cartridge every few months.

Mainly, though, if there is 'work' on the water pipes in your area, and the utility TELLS YOU about it, try to be cagey about which faucet you use to flush your water system clear. Me, I have a hose bibb near the house inlet, and I'd water the lawn before taking my shower on the first day post-reconnect of a water main. That's because I ignored the utility warning once, and my coffee water that day was nearly as dark before brewing as after.

Reply to
whit3rd

If you've lived in one place for a few decades you must have a plumber you trust.

My grandfather was a master carpenter who did mahogany executive offices in Manhattan, but if he needed tile in his bathroom he hired a tile man. He believed in specialization.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Any good hardware store should have a whole-house water filter. These are about 2" diameter and 8" long filter elements, often in a clear plastic housing. I never figured out how to change the filters without a bucket underneath. You'd be AMAZED at the crud they pick up, even without water main work going on.

I don't know of one specific for washing machine hoses, I suppose you could adapt the whole house filter with suitable threaded pipe fittings, but then you'd need 2 units. Also, they probably are not rated to handle hot water.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I worked for a company where we had them filtering cooling water for some instrumentation (pressure transducers). Each month the filters would be replaced and about 1 cup of grey mud/sludge would be removed. My guess it containe cement & asbestos dust from the pipes.

Reply to
Dennis

I'll be 60 in a couple months, and I've never hired a plumber, electrician or any other tradesman. I've never failed a building inspection, or a state mandated punch list when I contracted to do some work on a new college campus. I've rebuilt car engines, built a commercial TV station and communications equipment that's in orbit. I've installed natural gas service to my home, and all the water lines, from the cutoff box in the right of way. I have used a wood ladder to climb to the second floor drop to replace the service entrance cable on a freind's house, then installed the new meter base, and a breaker box.

Specialization is over rated, but understandable for some people. Some is cultural, some fear of unions and in a few cases, they are afraid to learn a new type of work.

Michael A. Terrell

I've done a hell of a lot of DIY myself, but after a pile of "by the time you're finished you've learned everything you should have known before you started" projects, I am starting to look more favorably on just handing cash to someone who does this for a living. The problem is finding contractors who are as anal- retentive as me.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

I learned most of those skills as a teenager, when I helped my girlfriend's dad rebuild their house after a major fire that destroyed the house one Christmas Eve wheil they were at a Christmas party.

Michael A. Terrell