OT: Ping John Larkin: Tsunami!

They were predicting a 3 foot wave on the Oregon coast but reduced that to 1 foot after they got some data from ocean buoys.

It'll be low tide when the first wave hits, which will mitigate things somewhat. Untrained observers may not notice the level change. But these things can cause very strong currents. So they advise people to stay out of the water. Or they might end up hundreds of feet from shore in a few seconds.

Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming
        Never test for an error condition you don't know how to
        handle.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

It's midnight here in LA, and breaking news is that there's just been an 8.9 earthquake in Japan. Eight point Nine! Isn't that about the biggest quake there's ever been?

Anyway, the reason this is for John is that the tsunami is scheduled to hit this morning, maybe 10 or 11 AM - wanna go take videos? (It's supposed to hit Hawaii in a couple, three hours.)

Also, Ozzies and Kiwis - you should be seeing the tsunami Real Soon Now; I don't know if you'll have time to take videos as you evacuate the coasts, but if you can, it'd be something we'd all be interested in seeing.

I wonder where you'd find satellite videos, not that they'd be very helpful in the middle of the night.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise schrieb:

9.5 was the biggest in Chile in 1960, 9.2 in Alaska 1964 and 9.1 in Northern Sumatra in 2004

Source:

Jorgen

Reply to
Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen

Yeah, I just dropped off the boys at the airport, post ski trip, and checked the web.

Biggest in Japan in 300 years maybe. Nasty. I recall a 9.1 or some such in Alaska.

Waves here in San Francisco? Wow. I don't have any video gear, so I'll just check it on the news. I'm sure anything good will wind up on youtube or whatever.

I think there is satallite tsunami radar. That would be interesting to see in motion. Prop velocity in open ocean is something insane like

500 MPH.

John

Some pix. Looks horrible.

John

The 28th picture is the most surreal picture. Cars and small planes thrown together as if they where toys on a pile of tooth-picks.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtj$J2yeAJgr8wu85IridVvWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Amazing. A finger of tsunami hit Crescent City, California.

John

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtj$J2yeAJgr8wu85IridVvWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Was huge

Click Change Day->Previous to view the seismograph. This was measured in NY.

Martin Riddle

Crescent City shoreline is a tuned cavity for tsunami.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Do you always get drunk before you post?

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

snip

Sensationalist twit.

Reply to
SoothSayer

"tuned cavity" ?. rofl.

It's surprising how much engineering and electronics terminology can be applied to other sciences. I guess it's all the same theory at a fundamental level...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

After watching an explanation of Crescent City's vulnerability by a local geologist, I would like to amend my description to include the offshore bottom profile as "tuned cavity at the end of a waveguide section".

Also adversely affected was the Santa Cruz yacht harbor, which has a shape that looks like a resonator:

Richard Henry

But is "while the level in the middle remains nearly constant" really true? The diagram doesn't show this. The "funnel" explanation makes more sense, when looking at their diagram.

Reply to
krw

Speaking of the funnel effect, I've seen some scary surf at "the wedge" on Balboa Peninsula, Newport Beach, CA:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There is some scary stuff going on in the NY harbor, where the tides and the Hudson and East Rivers collide. World's End, off West Point is also supposed to be pretty scary.

As far as resonance, the Hudson has a time constant significantly longer than the time between tides. The tides can be seen as far up as Albany, IIRC. The river reverses course during the tides, all the way to Kingston. The first time I saw it I was dumbfounded. "I *know* that's North! What's the river doing flowing that way?"

Reply to
krw

Hell's Gate is rough to go thru. I took a 24' sail boat from the north shore to the south shore of LI. You need to time the tides other wise the current is faster than the hull speed of most sail boats. We just made it around Coney Island in time, at 1 knot ;), before the tide really picked up. Fun trip, I'd do it again.

Martin Riddle

ense,

The Wedge is not a funnel. It's a wedge. An incoming wave constructively combines with its reflection off the rock jetty wall.

Reply to
Richard Henry

CA:

Ok, but I still don't see a null in the data.

Reply to
krw

No-name coward.

John