OT: Nokia for sale

Is Windows your idea of "progress"?

John

----------------------------------- Yes, Windows would be a fine O/S for a phone instead of the Mickey Mouse crap coming out lately.

Tell us what O/S you would prefer to run the billion or so odd applications available for them? Here's hoping you know what an "app" is on a phone. What language do you write code in for your mobile device?

We don't want to hear about you finger being sore from turning the dial either...lol

Reply to
m II

Just add three keys: control, alt, and delete.

But I was talking about oscilloscopes that run Windows. I wonder if they will still be alive 5 or 10 years from now, and whether you'll have everything you need to reinstall the OS and the apps.

Why do Windows scopes have a screen and knobs at all? Why not a small box with some BNCs and USB?

Why would I want "apps"? Angry Birds? Twitter? Realtime updates on Lindsay Lohan?

And why would I want to write code for a telephone? My Vaio laptop is barely adequate, video and CPU, to run serious engineering apps. Actually, inadequate for a lot of stuff. Plus, I need to be networked to our servers for a lot of things I do.

I'm sure not going to run LT Spice or PADS on a cell phone.

John

To some people Microsoft is the holy grail of software improvement*. Unfortunately they don't realize Microsoft is about 15 years behind on developing cutting edge programming languages. C# is more or less an improved Java they invented because Visual Basic didn't caught on the way they hoped and the real Java from Sun has severe issues.

I had my doubts about Google going for Java on their Android platform but it seems they fixed the flaws in their java-vm.

  • Today I had an interesting talk with someone who has been using Lua in embedded products running Linux for a couple of years:

There is also a microcontroller version:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I have an old logic analyzer from Tektronix (I estimate its about 10 years old) which runs Windows. The software is still available from Tektronix for download so thats not bad. But I do keep backups of all kinds of software and drivers I may need. The only real problem is installing an OS without a CD-rom drive.

The biggest trick is not to install any crap on it. Maybe a PDF printer but thats it.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I think most people buy the ones with the built-in controls so that they can just "grab and go," if need be, without worrying about whether or not the appropriate software is installed and configured on a PC available wherever it is they're going.

You can just "remote desktop" into the Windows-based scopes anyway if you desire. At least for mid- to high-end scopes, the cost of the PC/Windows on the scope is small enough I suppose most people figure it's pretty cheap to have the extra flexibility of standalone operation if you want it.

I mean, there's clearly a market for headless scopes out there, it just seems to be small compared to the market for traditional form-factor scopes. (And note that Tek and HP *will* sell you headless scopes if you want. National Instruments has been making headway [ha, ha] into this space as well...)

How about Ski Slalom, Linked In, and real-time updates on EE times?

OK, I doubt that's tempting you, but hopefully you can see what some people find attractive about smartphones.

There's no technical problem in configuring your servers in such a manner that you could access them anywhere you or your phone have Internet access -- don't you guys have a VPN setup?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Just add three keys: control, alt, and delete.

But I was talking about oscilloscopes that run Windows. I wonder if they will still be alive 5 or 10 years from now, and whether you'll have everything you need to reinstall the OS and the apps.

Why do Windows scopes have a screen and knobs at all? Why not a small box with some BNCs and USB?

Why would I want "apps"? Angry Birds? Twitter? Realtime updates on Lindsay Lohan?

And why would I want to write code for a telephone? My Vaio laptop is barely adequate, video and CPU, to run serious engineering apps. Actually, inadequate for a lot of stuff. Plus, I need to be networked to our servers for a lot of things I do.

I'm sure not going to run LT Spice or PADS on a cell phone.

John

------------------------------- You would be surprised.

My son just wrote an app for his cell phone to control his XBMC media centre.

Sounds weird but it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities to come. It connects via mobile link to Internet through his home modem / router and to his PC / Media centre running XBMC (free open-source media control software and very well done). This PC send sends out audio /video down his home network to the TV of his choice, somewhere else in the house where he watches it. This gives him remote control over media streaming to anywhere in the world, if he wanted it. The point was he can write his own apps under Android to do what he wants when he thinks of another app for it. Cools stuff. Way past my assembler / C / Pascal experience!

As far as a scope using Windows???? Never heard of it but I must agree...why? Sometimes the touch screen crap is just an abuse of that technology. I prefer knobs on most of my stuff. Haven't experienced it yet. We had a high voltage insulation tester with downloadable readings a few years back. I guess in a production testing environment but for the average user??

Sounds to me like the OP wants to get a new Nokia with Windows installed in it. If he is so afraid of that technology, why would he get rid of the one without it? LOL

mike

Reply to
m II

This may have helped Nokia's decision.

Art

Reply to
Artemus

Hopefully they'll be dead. Then they'll end up on the surplus market where I can buy 'em cheap and re-image the drives. :)

Reply to
JW

On a sunny day (Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:51:49 -0800) it happened "Artemus" wrote in :

'Loans' are never a good thing, cost you more with interest. That is why the US has such big troubles... US pays the interest by printing money :-)

So, no Nokia will pay interests, and also pay for each MS windows instant on each phone. On top of that they alienate current customers, introduce a lot of bloat, and fire half their own workforce. Now, that sort of management gets you into the pits.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

John

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:38:29 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Bureaucracy ? Sure, software needs to be written by programmers. They had Linux, or Unix, but Qt is a resource killer. I think, since windows phone 7 has zero market share, and has no proven track record, Nokia is taking a big risk (suicide) with it. They also alienate their developers, no Linux or Symbian developer will be that happy to give up everything and start on MS bloat. And, seriously, Apple mentioned a small iphone, could be my first Apple product! Let's hope Jobs lives, comes back from sick leave, else Apple will fall back into the pits too, and only Android will remain. I may go Android too, plenty of choice, more Linux like.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Is there any indication it's more of a resource hog than Windows 7, though?

It's kinda reminiscent of Palm a bit... they had a reasonably decent OS (Palm OS) where the initial polish had worn off and it was having a harder and harder time competing, so while Palm decided to throw it out and start anew internally (with WebOS), Nokia is throwing it out and starting anew with an external vendor -- even though they had other internal options such as Maemo/Meego.

(Have you noticed how the Nokia N900 is the official phone of Linux enthusiasts? :-) )

That's true of some developers, certainly, but I think most of them are pretty pragmatic and realize that (like desktop PCs) pretty much all the choices available today are somewhat bloated, just some a bit more than others. ...and keep in mind that there are a lot more programmers (millions) who are already somewhat familiar with Windows Phone 7 by virtue of their desktop PC .Net programming experience than there are programmers who were ever familiar with Symbian.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:08:12 -0800) it happened "Joel Koltner" wrote in :

If you look at the bigger picture, say also consider the future, then was it not: "Those who criticise Unix are bound to re-invent it"? Or something along those lines. Linux or Unix HAS all the facilities, why be bound to one GUI? If I download grml

that I am using now on the PC, I can choose from many window managers.

So in my view you cannot compare Qt to Widows phone 7 directly. The sh*t with MS started when for *marketing* reasons (they had competition from DRDOS) MS in win 98 no longer was running on top of MSDOS or DRDOS, but deliberately created an integrated monster, until this day. For Unix the GUI is just a program that runs on the X server, that in turn runs on the kernel. I do not know how many GUIs are available for Unix that do all the (touch) things that the new phones need. But Qt 4, at least when I compiled it, was bloat to the extreme. I have never used MS phone 7, not even seen somebody use it, so I dunno, but it probably is one piece of integrated bloat just like MS windows.

I have read that HP has bought Palm, and is further developing that OS, and will also enter the market with a smart phone.

Maybe it is me, but it takes years to get really good at programming some stuff, changing platforms will set back things. And they do not have time.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

HP did buy Palm and has announced some tablet based on WebOS, but I hadn't heard of them thinking they'd apply it to phones as Palm had. If they do, well, at least there would be one more choice there...

It's not you, it's that the standards of programming in this world have largely dropped from what you're used to in terms of reliability. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner