IR phototransistor

I've found the ideal, but still unobtainium phototransistor, Vishay's VEMT4700F. Features surface mount, wide angle (120° half sensitivity), IR filter, and base access. All this is required.

Unfortunately unavailable for now.

Any other reference with all those features? I can trade surface mount for availability for prototyping :-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

"Ideal phototransistor" isn't just unobtainium, it's antinomium. ;)

How about a nice BPV22NF and an op amp?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks, will go with that one. Don't know why I did focus only on 2 junctions... Sometimes we feel old...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:44:14 -0500, Phil Hobbs wrote: ...

Antinomium, nice word, I had to Google it:

from Secret Symbols of the Rosicrucians (Second Book): But when Thomas Aquinas calleth it Antinomium, he doth so because of its black ... Antinomium is opposed to all metals and burneth them all except the gold. ...

Also used in vitamin supplement descriptions, but not in dictionaries yet. Looks like you are the first to use it with the meaning of "name of something impossible" or perhaps "self contradicting nomenclature" - but I think it might catch on. Clearly a far better word than the plebeian and vaguely insulting "oxymoron", the use of which should be deprecated now that we have a better word :-). I am emailing it to a group of friends as the word of the day, I think they will like it better than the last one I sent, which was reocentric. (They are a psychocentric bunch.)

Glen

Reply to
Glen Walpert

I just made it up on the spot. If something made of unobtainium is unobtainable, something made of antinomium is an antinomy, a contradiction in terms like a four-sided triangle. Just a jocular way of saying that there's no such thing as a good phototransistor.

(Cue Jan to remind me how ignorant I am about the subject.) ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Sat, 12 Feb 2011 11:53:43 -0500) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

If you are talking about me, I have given up correcting you. I am sure the ones who have a brain know where you skid of the road. It is simply too much work to get you out of the gutters of your ego every time.

OTOH some of your postings I read, and some pass obviously over my head, good thing too, safer that way.

LDR hysteresis was your hangup IIRC. Oh, yes, and electrets too. and.... and ... Photo transistor? Do not remember that one, you have a problem with those?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

time.

Thanks. It's good to know that some things in life are reliable. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Phil likes things that are accurate and repeatable. He's funny that way.

John

On a sunny day (Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:02:47 -0500) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in : nsistor? Do not remember that one, you have a problem with those?

This message originates from the University Of Atlantis. "We were unable to decode your message".

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

"Antinomy" is actually an existing word, little known but quite useful. It refers the state of mind of being caught between two valid but incompatible choices, each of which seems equally compelling and necessary for its own reason.

I learned of it through the writings of Spider Robinson, who used it as the title for one of his short story collections. The example he used in one story: a young man was about to be married, to a woman he loved quite truly and deeply (as she loved him). Both of them were devout Catholics. Not long before the scheduled wedding, she told him that she'd had a revelation, and realized that she was being called to become a nun and spend the rest of her life in the Church.

As a devout Catholic, he knew he should feel glad for her... that she'd be serving God in a true and honorable way. He also loved her passionately and wanted her to spend her life with him, and knew he was losing that possibility forever.

That's antinomy.

[Spider described the business of being a writer as "toiling in the antinomy mines", and that writers were thereby subject to a ghastly occupational disease known as "black brain". A better man with puns and plays on words, I have yet to meet.]
Dave Platt

I used to be a big Spider Robinson fan in my youth.

I know about the word 'antinomy'--it's a classical philosophical term for a contradiction in terms. It was connecting it with "unobtainium" that struck me as apt at the time, since Fred Bartoli was looking for the ideal phototransistor. Just a pun, folks, nothing to see here, show's over, move along.....

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well....wish me some luck; i am (in spare time) working on a 4-sided triangle. First crude "cut" is interesting and shows some possible clues. Be advised eye ayint meekanocull genrus.

Reply to
Robert Baer

but...but...but...i have some free, red photons looking for a home...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Here's a project for you:

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Piers Anthony (with fan club as needed) can probably go a few rounds with Spider.

Reply to
josephkk