[OT]? Nightmare scenario

So, Adobe is going to a subscription-only service that depends on Internet connectivity to keep the rented software working. No more CS shrinkwrap versions after the currrent CS6. (This is the standard set of software used by graphic artists and ad types worldwide). Fail to pay up? There's no way to open the files which you created. Future pricing? Who knows what it will be.

Personally, I think p*ssing off a huge group of energetic and highly creative people connected with mass media types is not a wise thing to do (recall the "buys ink by the barrel" quote).. but that aside, it's clearly an attractive business model for the bean counters, especially when you have a basically mature product line and little incentive for users to upgrade other than support of new hardware such as camera raw formats.

As far as immediate relevance to EEs, when EDA software such as keeps its libraries in the cloud, the software becomes significantly crippled if the connection or cloud data goes away for any reason, including inability or unwillingness to pay whatever the current subscription cost may be. Not quite as bad as what Adobe would have (yet), but still bad.

On a more general note..

What are people going to do when we become completely dependent on the presence of always-on networking if something ever goes wrong?

Net's down? Call someone? All the phones are VOIP Google a troubleshooting procedure? Ha. Look up the manuals online? Nobody has printed manuals anymore.

argh!

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I try not to depend on the cloud that way. If I need it, it's here.

(Backing up to the cloud makes sense, though).

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I remember working for a big company where IT thought it was a good idea that the domain controller was at the main site in a different country instead of in the server room with the fileserver on site, when someone put a shovel through internet the cable no one could login or access files for few days ...

I believe the license for the paid for Xilinx tools (used to?) say you can only use it for working on old projects after you stop paying the annual fee, though the software doesn't enforce it

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Yup, people are becoming more oblivious to reality...

I stay clear of any off site services for data storage and transactions that involves my livelihood.

As for those that want to charge non one time fee's just to use a tool are those that want to be the chief and retire on you.

As for Adobe, more than likely some old timers past the business down to some young generation relatives and they learned how to sit back and do nothing but collect money with out working for it.

That is how big companies that use such products end up creating a tool of their own and it spreads like wild fire.

So much for Adobe, I see it fading into the sunset.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

If you have PhotoShop, quit upgrading. If you don't, learn Gimp.

The Altera FPGA software, even the free version, in node-locked and only runs for one year.

Back to Xilinx?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Hey, We still make printed manuals. (No one appears to read them.)

Re; adobe, I saw the new price thing. I figure I'll just keep using the old clunky software. I use MS paint to stick text and arrows onto pictures.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Some of it isn't that clunky, but yeah, I 'll be using some DOS schtuff for the foreseeable future. (Buy Win 7 with XP mode while you still can--I just got an i7 quad core box with Win 7 for a bit of future-proofing.)

I'm hoping to have time to figure out how to make statically-linked versions of some Linux programs that I like, so that I'm not so much at the mercy of the library maintainers. My favourite text editor (xx by Blair Thompson,

which is statically linked) is an exception, but there are lots of things I depend on that will be suffering bit rot by and bye, e.g. kdiff3, LaTeX, even Eclipse.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's not just Adobe that is doing this, Microsoft wants to do the same with the OS on a computer. That's when I got Linux all the way. Fuck the subscription model.

Yep, I have Photoshop 7 on my machine. Still works and I see no need to upgrade it.

That's the problem with software: once you do it right, people stop buying it. The FPGA folks don't have that problem yet!

We run PADS v5, from 2002. Works great. Some people here still run DOS pcb layout software.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I hear that M$ is going to "transform" their OSes to the subscription model. Miss one payment and you are dead if there is no place to call..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I encounter that situation periodically at work. Network or computer down? No problem! Just send an email to MIS...

Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Static linking just pushes the dependencies down a layer. A statically-linked binary still has dependencies on the kernel, filesystem layout, file formats, network protocols, etc.

A number of libraries use dlopen() to load dynamic libraries at run time. glibc does this for NSS (name-service switch) modules, which are used to implement getXbyY() database lookups (gethostbyname(), getpwnam(), etc). GUI toolkits do it for input methods, image loaders, and themes.

Reply to
Nobody

"The Internet is broken"

"What, all of it?"

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I agree. However, the "cloud" might resolve the whole software piracy issu e, if it is implemented correctly by the manufacturers / authors.

I am not a fan of "cloud-based" anything. Except, I do have to say that we recently rolled a job ticketing system (ZenDesk) that keeps its informatio n in the "cloud". The truth is, we get such tremendous value from the appl ication that cloud considerations have to take a back seat. We did however pony up another $1k annual fee for a 3rd party solution for keeping our Ze nDesk data in a local Excel format - in case the cloud ever turns into a hu rricane.

But for something like Adobe... I will not buy it on a subscription basis, or if the program requires always-on broadband.

Almost as bad... I had a chess program I really liked (ChessMaster 9, I think), and it was o n CD-ROM. It would go out to the mothership every so many sessions to conf irm that the CD was a legitimate copy. Of course, that pretty much ruled o ut running it on a tablet - which eventually was my intention. Even with a desktop, you had to keep the CD handy, for when it asked.

As I get older, I am realizing more and more that the world is almost compl etely filled with idiots. It's amazing.

Reply to
mpm

Just continuation of old argument of network terminal vs local computer.

Or would you rather prefer them selling specialized unique hardware modules running their core software?

Amazing is that the World works despite of that.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

or renting vs. buying

Maybe different in other places but here leasing a car is almost always cheaper than buying if you replace it every three years

but the concept of paying for something for three years and then just giving it back just seems wrong, even if all the calculations show that it is the cheapest way

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I really expect things like fopen() to continue to work for a long long time. GTK4, not so much.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It doesn't wear out like hardware. As you say, a software creation business is inherently self-limiting.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

That reminds me that the first computer I bought, a Zenith Z100, came with a big stack of manuals, including the full printout of the BIOS code, for both processors IIRC. Needless to say Zenith went down the tubes.

Reply to
Gib Bogle