W7 64

Had this HP laptop over a year. Been a pain with constant updates from windows and HP. I think the bios has been updated minimum 4 times. HP has an update program for the laptop. It been mostly a pain to use, and takes at least 5 minutes before yo can really start doing anything. I also have comcasts norton protect.

Lately on boot, blue screen, then constant retries. It seemed like it sometimes found out windows needed to repair itself and went to a screen. I also found you could get to the screen after safe mode boot, which fails, then goes to repair screen. It repairs after a long while and boots right up. It's a continuous motion.

I've run across things like, windows shut down improperly, and also a keyboard not found. HP diagnostics pass ok. I'm ready to go back to original configuration if necessary. I think it's basically a good machine. I think it's software.

I'd love to install my XP disk.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

sounds to me like a bad HD or hardware.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

There was a recent Windows update causing similar symptoms. See

If that isn't what's causing your problems, it may be time to pick up a new hard drive and reinstall from scratch. Perhaps also take the opportunity to upgrade the RAM?

I'm on Win7-64 here on a Lenovo and, other than some apparent #!$#&% permissions issues with installing OpenVPN, it's been great.

Reply to
Rich Webb

Boot it from a stand alone memory tester CD and do a stress diagnostic test on the hardware. That way you can demonstrate if it is a hardware error. My last Toshiba 17" laptop had an incredibly annoying intermittent fault that meant it lost the keyboard and mouse after a while. This could be worked around by plugging a USB one in, but the only way to power it down was to physically remove the battery or let it run out.

Either way made bootup tedious in the extreme. A Linux test disk also failed the same way and eventually it became so unreliable the keyboard would crash and die before you could alter bios settings.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

has

takes

have

screen. I

fails,

right

machine.

Gee. I have W7 64 on a lappie and two more machines. Not updating all the time but i am not having any trouble either.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I mostly use iPad, but I turned on the laptop and it booted ok. Hope last time it cured itself. I'll continue to check things out. Other computer uses XP, old reliable. I also got slower machines using W98se and W2K.

HP laptop says it needs to load 2 new drivers tonight. !

Greg

Reply to
gregz

machine.

Yeah, I have an old Dell 4100 running W98se. I use it because it has a PS2 port and a serial port on it. I need those for my magnetic card reader/writer.

Otherwise the other machines are WinXP Pro SP3+patches. I see no reason to upgrade at the current moment. And Win8 looks like it was designed by a crack addled ADHD sufferer.

from

HP has

and takes

also have

it

screen. I

fails,

boots right

also a

machine.

up

#!$#&%

all

last

computer

You are way to kind to Win8. I found it to be a not quite usable abomination. Worse than Vista by far. The real underlying problem is that it is excessively oriented to tablets and such with touch screens. Some people think that conventional desktops and non-touch-screen laptops are really going away soon. Ain't happening, the need to reliably input text is still too important.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

has

takes

have

screen. I

fails,

right

machine.

I guess you haven't seen that MS is now dropping 8.1 on the maket and the Start button is back.

Where can one get one of these newfangled makets?

I always wondered what a maket with a start button would be like.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

reason

by

screens.

laptops

input

This is the first i have heard of it. I guess the backlash was pretty severe.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Still severe so far as I'm concerned. Windows 8.x is a TABLET operating system. Doesn't work so well on Laptopd and Workstations.

And I still maintain, that interface looks like it was designed by a crack addled ADHD sufferer.

operating

Here's some useful info I found, including third party apps to restore (and enhance) the Win7 Start Button and Menu System:

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

nd

Basically what I was going to say.

Been running Win8 in desktop mode for a couple months now and it's virtuall y identical to Win 7 thanks to Start8

rt8/) and ModernMix
both from Stardock who I've had a subscription with since the OS/2 days.

Sure it's not right that you have to pay extra to get it the way you want, but lots of people pay extra to customise things the way they want...

Cheers, Chris.

Reply to
Chris

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 18:36:46 -0700 (PDT) Chris wrote in Message id: :

identical to Win 7 thanks to Start8

and ModernMix
both from Stardock who I've had a subscription with since the OS/2 days.

lots of people pay extra to customise things the way they want...

Why pay for what you can get for free?

JW