Brute-force linear supply manufacturer?

Does anyone still make brute-force linear supplies? I.e. just a rectifier with a choke output filter and an output that's proportional to the input line voltage?

24V, 10 - 15A. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

-- My liberal friends think I'm a conservative kook. My conservative friends think I'm a liberal kook. Why am I not happy that they have found common ground?

Tim Wescott

Mouser carries a few from International Power; look at the bottom of

. Looks like it has a soup-can capacitor with a bleeder resistor, not a choke. Mouser

597-IP500U24 is 29.2 V no load, 24.6 V @ 20 A, $260 quantity 1.

Googling finds similar parts from Powervolt,

. BVU-24FU20 is 24.6 V @ 20 A (the next smaller one is 7.5 A). Pricing appears to be "contact factory".

I don't know if either of these are any good or not, just that they exist. Both of them seem to have three taps for each input voltage (-10%, nominal, +10%) so you can adjust the output a little at install time.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Try Tessco.

tm

Reply to
tm

Hello Tim

Ismet

makes various transformers and inductors for industrial use, as well as unregulated power supply modules based on their transformers. Some of them are custom or semi-custom units, not listed on the website, but there are some standard versions too. The standard types have capacitor filters, no chokes, must be fused externally and are rather expensive (designed to built into industrial machinery, not for standalone / lab use). Types "EN", "ENT" (1 phase) and "DGA", "DGO" (3 phase) listed here are probably closest to what you're looking for:

As always, there's plenty of companies in the far east (some in China, but for this type of product also India) willing to build something similar for a fraction of the price, but then you'd better IWT and HI-POT them just in case (and, especially if it's India, still treat the secondary with the same respect as the primary).

Regards Dimitrij

Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil

Yes, but you have to spend money!!!!!!!!!!!!

THey are pretty much up there due to the transformer needed.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

dave

That's not a linear supply!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Let me clarify: Brute force. Unregulated. Some of you got that -- good.

CHOKE INPUT. Meaning that there's a filter choke and a filter cap in there. I've seen them, I'm about to canvass some ex coworkers to see if anyone will look at labels.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Wow, choke input--this is for a steampunk rock crusher project, right?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

- good.

I think the only time we did something like that we made our own. (Variac->rectifier->big C -> magnet coils..) (I don't know if there is an inductor..)

If it's a hard part to find then making your own has some advantages.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's for a last-minute change to a project that drives motors and thus really should have had an unregulated capacitor-input supply from the first, but was painted into a corner by having no room for anything but a switching supply. So lots and lots of extra work went in to pamper the supply. Now that all that work has been done, the customer has decided to put the supply elsewhere in the product, and there's all the space in the world. Alas, they were so adamant before that I did not think ahead, and we'd need some (quite minor, but still) board mods to handle the entire possible input voltage range from an unregulated cap-input supply.

I've seen 28V choke-input unregulated supplies as recently as a decade ago. In fact, I've lugged them around labs quite a bit. I just don't remember who made them, nor do I have any idea of how available they are now.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Maybe talk to companies like this:

Also Power-One and others. Most likely the only chance is that they make a similar product for someone else already. Because in view of today's copper and labor prices there ain't much out there in Goliath-sized linear supplies anymore, it's all switchers.

Of course, with you being the PID-guru, you could design a switcher around a Cypress PSoC or similar that behaves like ye olde swinging-choke supply :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Then it technically is not a linear supply.

Reply to
tm

?????

Choke input just means that you use an L-network filter instead of a pi network, which gives you an output equal to the average value of the rectified sine wave. In the limit of large inductors and ideal diodes, that's sqrt(8)/pi * Vrms, rather than sqrt(2)*Vrms for a capacitor-input (pi) filter.

sqrt(8)/pi ~=0.9003 and sqrt(2) is of course 1.4142+, so using a choke-input supply reduces the DC output by a factor of 2/pi ~= 0.637.

Same kind of supply, just a slightly different filter.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USAb
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

All well and good Dr. Phil but that would just be known as a rectifier and filtered, unregulated supply. Add a linear regulator and now you have a linear supply. Just a terminology nit, I know. But it may make searching a bit better.

Reply to
tm

Linear is as opposed to switching. If you put a 7805 on the output of a switching supply, it doesn't become a linear one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If the choke is a swinging choke where the inductance changes depending on current it is no longer linear :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Of course, if there's diodes in it then it isn't linear either

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Since Max Plank none of this could ever be linear in the first place, even if it all was just a bare wire, because his quantum theory says everything is quantized.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

And then of course there are those nice linear diodes. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs