OT: New Restaurant in Phoenix

Hello Rich,

T'is true. While marching at boot camp the drill sergeant stopped everyone. And I mean, the whole battalion. Singled out two guys. One was yours truly. "YOU! From now on you will not sing. It makes even the milk in the fridge turn sour. Understand?" "YES, SAAAAAHH!"

I can but I can't hold a tune in a bucket.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Howcome it's so easy for me to imitate Ahnold, but so hard for him to imitate me? Or Chico, or Yamaguchi?

Is it just because English, having roots in no less than THREE languages (Latin, Greek, Germanic) has such a wealth of sounds available?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I had a Dutch co-worker for awhile once, and he spoke impeccable English, but with such a cute Dutch accent that it was a pleasure to hear him talk about anything, just for that cute damn accent. ;-)

Everybody in the lab ROFL when he talked about the time he met some Brit sailors: "Bloody f****ng this, and bloody f****ng that..." in that cute damn Dutch accent! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I kinda know what you mean.

I knew a lovely Norwegian girl a long time ago, Bente was her name in fact and ppl loved to hear her say 'bloody vikings' with her accent just for the hell of it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In message , dated Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Rich Grise writes

There was an old lady of Breen Whose musical ear was not keen She said, 'It is odd But I cannot tell 'God Save the weasel' from 'Pop goes the Queen'.'

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

The is ABSE, maybe you can dig out a microphone and post a .wav file or something.

on seconds thoughts then there'll be a bunch of immitators posting back, maybe a more compact format like ogg or mp3 would be better.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

I think that must have been a confusion between character sets - I knew it was risking trying to use the right letter. On my email client/OS/keyboard/font combination, the letter I wrote was an "o" with two dots above it, while it looks like you saw it as an Icelandic "d with a cross".

Reply to
David Brown

They won't learn to speak or even understand the three languages simultaneously, but they will learn to hear the sounds simultaneously. There are lots of myths about how small children learn languages, especially when brought up with several languages. The most important thing is that they hear other people speaking the languages amongst themselves - what you say to the kid itself makes little difference (and considering how many adults speak to babies, that's a very good thing - otherwise they'd grow up with the speech range of a chimpanzee).

Reply to
David Brown

No.

It's pronounced 'errr'.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Make a small round shape with the lips and make the sound in the throat like when the Docor ask you sah 'ahh' but say 'errr' instead.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

with

My voice just 'cracks' now if I try.

I get sore from talking loud ( as in over loud background noise ) now too.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

with