OT: New Restaurant in Phoenix

Just moved from Chandler to Eugene, OR about a month ago. I do miss the abundance of good restaurants in the valley. Bahama Breeze (Ray & I-10) and Abuelo's (Chandler Blvd. & 101) were always favorites.

To be honest, I don't miss much else...

Christopher Ott

In message , dated Sun, 10 Sep

2006, Steve writes

What indeed! How far are Alaska and Hawaii from the 48?

Arabia is very big. And the remark was a joke. Twit yourself.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

And ironically, it is mostly people who believe in various religions who fought (and died) to preserve your right to athiesm. Have a nice day.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Yes it is.. but it doesn't spread across an entire continent, that doesn't even contain it !

Never mind, I missed the wink, sorry about that.

- Steve

Reply to
Steve

Could you elaborate on that ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In message , dated Mon, 11 Sep

2006, Eeyore writes

It's a self-fulfilling concept. People with political power established freedom of thought, including freedom of religion. But many of them began to do that at a time when they couldn't get political power without overtly supporting whatever was the dominant religion in the country at the time. See the careers of politicians in the reigns of Henry VIII, Mary I, Elizabeth I, and then the 'Vicar of Bray', who switched from Protestant to RC, Tory to Whig and back in the reigns of Charles II, James II, William IV and Mary II, Anne and George I.

'And this is the law, that I'll maintain Until my dying day, sir. That whatsoever King doth reign, Still I'll be the Vicar of Bray, sir!'

It's still true today. Witness the interest in whether Tony Blair will become a Roman Catholic and the furore over GWB's religious views. Local councils in England and Wales are expected to appoint a 'Chaplain to the Chairman'. The House of Commons also has a chaplain, who is said to look around at the MPs and then pray for the country!

I wonder if a prominent and overt atheist could even now get high political office in UK or USA.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

Wait until all the rain soaks in ;-)

...Jim Thompson

So what is the correct pronunciation of "Joerg" ???

...Jim Thompson

No more true than for the general population. It is not true that there are no atheists in foxholes.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

ISTR that Karl Rove is an atheist.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

In message , dated Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Homer J Simpson writes

If so, GWB is a hypocrite; he should have denounced Rove to the bishopric and sent him to the bonfire.

While this URL is doubtless not wholly impartial:

it does suggest that Rove is a cloacal temple.

Another context of the word 'rove' is the name of a beetle. Figures.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

In message , dated Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Homer J Simpson writes

True, but they are less than proportionally represented, being more intelligent and free-thinking, thus not being preferred as cannon-fodder.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

All politicians are hypocrites...

Scumbag RINO Senator McCain is appearing in TV ads here in Arizona supporting Len Munsil for Governor.

Len Munsil is a lunatic-level religious right wing fruitcake.

I like Rove ;-)

...Jim Thompson

It's true that they are less inclined to kill for Jesus.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

In message , dated Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Jim Thompson writes

RINO?? Who he?

Literally 'fruitcake'? I thought the RRW didn't like them sort? (;-)

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

Hello Jim,

The "oe" is really an umlaut "o", a sound that in America only New Yorkers can really make. But they are very good at it. Remember "All in the Family" when Archie Bunker said "... so my point is ..."? The way he pronounced the "o' in "point" is the way it's pronounced.

If you have been in France or Quebec this sound can be heard often, like in the last part of their word for calculator which is "ordinateur".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

In message , dated Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Homer J Simpson writes

I don't think there are many combatants who are. Quite a few eager to kill for other deities, though.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

In message , dated Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Joerg writes

You may find 'Yurg' near enough. Most differences in languages and accents are subtle variations of vowel sounds. There are thousands of different ones, only some hundreds of which have official phonetic symbols.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

Most of the time, they want to go home, alive and with everything they had when they arrived. If they have to kill to survive, they do. Its one thing to practice on the rifle range with pop up targets, but its completely different to have to fire at another human, or die.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hello John,

Yes, that's true. It's just more difficult to make a certain sound if you didn't have some training in it or trained yourself. Dutch was quite tough in that respect, took me a couple years to get it (almost) right. The main reason why I tell people at clients to call me George is that when someone has me paged "Joerg" often sounds like "Stuart" and then there is a Stuart and he answers the page.