OT: name of hammer style

Hi,

I'm looking for the name of a particular style of hammer.

One end consist of a large flat(-ish) surface about 1.5" diameter. In cross section, it looks like the head of a nail. I.e., a wide circular striking surface on a much narrower neck. (contrast that with an Engineer's Hammer, or a Claw Hammer or a Ball Pein Hammer).

The other end (two striking surfaces!) looks like an anteater's snout (no other way to describe it :< ). At any point along the "snout", the cross section would be a circle. The striking end is about 0.5" in diameter. The "snout" is about 3-4" long and gradually curves down towards your hand. I.e., the striking surfaces are not parallel planes (though the amount of curvature is not as severe as the ripping claw in a carpenter's hammer)

The hammer is relatively lightweight -- like a smaller Ball Pein Hammer -- but not as light as a Tack Hammer.

Browsing "images" hasn't turned up any useful hits. Having worked for a hand tool manufacturer, I am well aware of the myriad varieties of "specialty" hammers available! :<

Thx!

Reply to
Don Y

On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 20:27:51 -0700, Don Y Gave us:

I searches for images, which is what I would do first, and until you spot one, was use "jeweler's hammer" as my search criteria.

Got way more than that, but a lot that might be what you want.

You simply have to wade through them till you spot it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Upholstery hammer, perchance?

Reply to
Ralph Barone

I suggest you post in rec.crafts.metalworking, should have much better luck there.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

[...]

Carl Ijames

Sounds like a pick hammer or shrinking hammer.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Planishing hammer

The other end of a planishing hammer can have many forms

Dog Bagfood

You might find it here:

and-dollies.aspx

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

It's for doing bodywork. Find Eastwood Tools and you should see some similar ones.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Upholstery hammer, as Ralph said.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Is this what you are describing?

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E Bennett

Den tirsdag den 4. november 2014 04.28.05 UTC+1 skrev Don Y:

ask Tom Lipton,

Seems like he has a collection of every type of hammer ever made

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I contacted my "hand tool" employer (failing to recognize his seasonal time-change -- damn!) this morning. He indicated that it's used for autobody repairs and doesn't have a specific name (apparently, there are a boatload of different designs that are employed -- some for repair work on doors, others for fenders, etc. -- so, unlike, for example, *planes*, there are too many varieties to readily describe). He reminded me of a (different) "hammer" prototype that he showed many years ago and the "issue" they had trying to "name" it!

So, I guess I'll google "autobody hammer" when I get back to this machine... (vote, then pro bono work)

Thanks for all the answers! (some were even correct! :> )

Reply to
Don Y