OT: My Afternoon

I think we need a new word.

There's 'stoned', and there's 'tipsy' [or any of an indeterminate number of euphemisms for 'drinking'], but there seems to not be a word for the synergy.

Anyway, I got a paycheck today, so I went and bought gasoline, booze, and herbs. I sampled the herbs, and I'd been sampling the booze since yesterday, so I was in great spirits! So, as I drive by the infamous "Slauson Cutoff", there's this panhandler standing at the stop sign at the bottom of the exit ramp. Now, I have a soft spot in my heart for panhandlers - kind of a "been there, done that" feeling. So, I decide to give the guy a buck or two. I wasn't on the freeway, so I couldn't go down the exit ramp, so I pulled into the gas station about a block or so away. I walk up to this guy, and I say - Oh, by the way, did I mention that I'd already been to my herb dealer's house, and have herbalized my brain? So, I decide to be manganimous, and give the guy a buck - been there done that, did I say that already too?

Damn! This is going to be humiliating tomorrow when I'm sober!

Anyways, to get to the point of the anecdote - I walk up to the bum, and say, "Hey, here's a dollar, but I've got five if you want to just sit down, shoot the breeze, and maybe have a beer or doobie.

Apparently, this bum didn't want to have no truck with interlopers or something - he turned me down. Gaq! Am I _THAT_ obnoxious? Thank All That Is for USENET! (Otherwise, I wouldn't have anybody to talk to at ALL!)

But the next thing - it turns out the guy felt pressed for time. He points to this plastic-wrapped flat pack of 1-pint containers, like those little house-shaped milk cartons, and there's 30 of them in this pack. He says, "I don't have anyplace to keep this milk so it won't spoil, do you want it?" I was stunned. I said, "Well, uh, yeah, sure." And I picked up this little 30-pack of pints in their little cardboard cartons, and gave the guy two bucks.

Got to the car, took a look at the "milk", and it turns out I have been given 30 pints of apple juice by a homeless person!!????!?!?!?!

Ain't life weird?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When did you sniff all that gasoline you bought up?

Reply to
jabara

There are quite a few of them-- Slauson Av. intersects the San Diego, Santa Ana, San Gabriel River and Harbor Freeways. It crosses the Long Beach Fwy. too, but there's no "cutoff".

Gopher to Guts.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

P.S. I think the one Carson would have been referring to would be the one off the Santa Ana Fwy. in Downey. If you take Slauson east a bit then turn down Rosemead, under I-5 to where it turns into Lakewood, you'll find the world's oldest McDonalds:

They renovated it some years back, so it's not quite as authentic as it once was, but...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

There is actually a "Slauson Cutoff?" I thought that was just a Johnny Carson joke.

Hey Rich, my spell checker just suggested I change your last name from Grise to Grime....

Reply to
Carl D. Smith

"Primed for that Zen slap upside the head the Universe delivers when it damn well feels like it". Feel free to attempt to make an acronym of that. Might work better in say Japanese. Do acronyms even exist in Japanese? Do you know how to say "transistor" in Japanese?

I don't do alcohol all that often, but I was recently given a six-pack of this:

Anyway, for me it's usually coffee and the herb; we used to call that "speedweeding", remember? All over the f****ng map, and way too quickly for straights to keep up with.

Did it hurt?

At least three times.

So don't allow that to happen...

He was probably a professional panhandler and makes several hundred a day and you were cutting into his work time. I'm constantly amazed at the level of self-discipline such people can maintain on the scam; just try to get them to apply it to a real job.

Uh, gaq? You speak tlhIngan Hol?

Huh, wha?

(n) illiterate

Instant karma. Ferment the juice. Use wine yeast, not bread yeast. Trust me.

Mark L. Fergerson.

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

Yup.

Nope. . .

**Near** Downey. It's north of the Rio Hondo, barely in the City of Commerce.
. .

Yup. Oldest extant McDonalds. (The 1st was in San Berdoo.)

I would have sworn it was on Florence Av. (Nope.) It's set back considerably from Lakewood.

Reply to
JeffM

At Santa Fe Springs Rd., Slauson changes to Mulberry. ;-)

But I don't think there's any place really "officially" called the S.C.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

sniperony

??

Anyone got a good recipe for fermented apple cider? I'm thinking about trying to brew a batch.

Reply to
Pat Ford

Try Google terms like homebrew +"hard cider"; ignoring the commercial sites, you'll get hits like:

Some say juice from special cider apples, some say any apple juice with or without preservatives. Some say brewer's yeast, some say wine yeast. This _is_ an art, you know. ;>)

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson