OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

"T.T."

** Dictionaries have always been DESCRIPTIVE rather than PROSCRIPTIVE publications.

Shame that few schools explain this to students or detail how one is created or all would realise the fact. Instead dictionaries are used solely as references for correct spelling and meaning - which leads to all the trouble.

Plus, languages are living things - new words arise all the time and old ones acquire new or altered meanings. Hence the constant need for new and updated dictionaries.

BTW:

Even the worst pedants will normally acknowledge a famous dictionary as authoritative - but not our TW!!!

The monumental fool is way out on the lunatic fringe, even among pedants.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A *lot* better than many of the unworkable "illusions" presented at that other site.. That cut-and-fold "impossible" triangle was particularly bad, in that it had absolutely zero chance of "working" as-is. None of the optical "illusions" i tried worked. Call it a hoax site.

Reply to
Robert Baer

My intution was that the edges of the sides could not be parallel for the the illusion to work. However, intution failed me, since I tried it, and it works as advertised. I presume you understand that the result only looks like a solid impossible triangle from one point in space relative to it. From anywhere else it looks like what it is - an oddly cut and folded piece of paper.

The moving rings and moving stars worked for me - but the effect is reasonably subtle.

The "Love Test" illusion I've seen before, and I still find it quite surprising. You have to keep you eyes very still when looking at the words in the middle, and don't blink, otherwise the illusion is lost. If you have slightly twitchy eyes, you may not be able to see this illusion, because you won't be able to keep your eyes still for long enough.

It fits in with something I noticed years ago, which is that if you stare at a fixed point for a while, stationary things start to disappear from your peripheral vision. The "Love Test" illusion seems to be able to create that effect very quickly for some reason.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

--
Here's some nice ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXm0dIuyug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89AobrE4NKk

http://www.youtube.com/profile?annotation_id=annotation_225928&user=brusspup&feature=iv
Reply to
John Fields

Outstanding!

...Jim Thompson

  • There was no way to "close" the thing without severe bending and possible tearing. I could have done an infinitely better construction from scratch, it was *that* bad.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Where's "WhySoSerious?" when you need him? (Probably still trying to come up with a plausible reason for not handling high ohm resistors by their leads...)

Reply to
JW

Where did you even find them?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Here is another site with a range of common illusions.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Or shaking his head at the number of people who don't seem to get his style of humour.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Er, it doesn't close. It's not meant to close. Here's how it works.

My effort is pretty rough and ready. With more time and stiffer paper, I'm sure a good result can be obtained.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

A sane person would figure out that it wasn't working.

Reply to
krw

Only that it's not working with a number of people.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Now *THAT* is more like it!! I tried over a dozen and they all worked except for the grey (both spellings are acceptable) stripes.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Since i am on dial-up, "youtube" is out. Visualize the cut but unfolded paper, and then (following the minimal and megar instructions) fold the paper so the printing "stands out" or the dotted lines get stretched and not compressed (an "outie" not an "innie"). I wind up with a loooong piece of paper (almost a box) on the left that goes nowhere. And that triangle-end thinggis (highly technical term) on the right also goes nowhere.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Where "a number" is the universal set.

Reply to
krw

Yup. That's pretty much how it is. Then you sit it on the floor and look at it from the right direction.

Sorry about the focus, but you'll get the idea.

But move away from that position a bit, and you get

Note that I haven't changed the paper model at all between these two pictures.

From another direction it's:

The air movement may have tilted it a bit.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Thanks for the photos; they make it possible.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Having reflected on that, I think my intuition was right - in theory. Because one of the sides of the triangle is actually pointing in a different direction from what appears to be the case, perspective is distorting it, and it should be shaped to as to correct for that distortion.

However, in practice it seems the distortion is not enough to matter for the purpose of creating the illusion, and one can get away with ignoring it.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else