Any electronic use for magnetic paint?

Ran across this Magnetic paint at Home Depot the other day, just thought I'd make others aware.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

For my wife's bulletin board I simply used a piece of sheet steel, plus "push-pin" magnets...

These magnets are so strong that I'd guess you could put a veneer over them and still get good adhesion.

Note that the paint description sounds like weenie-level holding power. ...Jim Thompson

After I posted the above it occurred to me that you could paint patterns on non-magnetic material and detect its movement with a Hall sensor. ...Jim Thompson

If it is like the paint I have seen it is not in it self magnetic, it just contains iron so magnet will stick to it

the idea is that you could paint a piece of wall with it, paint over with normal paint and your "push pin" magnets will stick to the wall

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Its also usually made to act as a chalk board. Its for kids. Takes several coats. As seen on Holmes on Homes.

greg

Yes, I think Sony uses this as the Magnescale, a tape with a printed magnetic strip and a read head, to make a linear position sensor that can just be applied to any surface with a self-stick measuring tape. I think some other companies have other schemes that read the position tape optically.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Probably lossy at RF - would have been useful if most police hadn't switched from microwave to laser speed guns.

Reply to
Ian Field

it's seems to be basically a suspension of iron powder in paint resin

painted over pcb traces it would increase the inductance

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

And probably the HF attenuation. It could well be useful for EMI problems. I bet it sure wrecks the Q of a cavity.

Piconics makes some super-wideband inductors, spiral wound and filled with ferrite-loaded epoxy. I wonder what this would do to an inductor.

John

It isn't the same as the Home Depot product, but nickel-particle paint is both conductive and ferromagnetic. That's what was coating the inside of the 1984 Macintosh plastic enclosure, for shielding. So, there definitely IS a use for magnetic paint in electronics...

Reply to
whit3rd

We use a copper particle paint for ESD protection. Not sure why we didn't try nickel.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Cost? wouldn't nickel cost more than copper?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Seems so. I thought copper had gone well past nickel but apparently not. Nickel is used everywhere, though.

Reply to
krw

Fry's sells spray paint just for the purpose of EMI reduction. Not cheap either. I've used it on plastic cased radios to keep the local from leaking. If the Rustolem is cheaper, it might be useful for such use.

Reply to
miso

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

when I was at TEK,they used copper paint for EMI shielding.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

At IBM we used nickel, though mostly plated.

Reply to
krw

Rustoleum isn't conductive. BTTT.

Reply to
krw

Does anyone bother with emi shielding of PCs any more, given that you can buy transparent cases?

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Nickel, Say is the skin depth of nickel near that of iron? Better?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold