OT: MS Word Problem (Word 97)

Does anyone know if it is possible to cut-and-paste from Word 97, into another Word 97 document, text that has been revised while the "track changes by author" feature was activated?

I want to keep the formatting - for example, I want to show new text as underlined, and deleted text as strikethrough once I get it to the new document.

However, whenever I try to cut-and-paste, even with the "paste- special" option, MS Word behaves as though all the edits were accepted prior to the cut operation. In other words, strikeout text is removed, and underlining is also gone.

Actually, what I "REALLY" want is just the formatting, and for Word to "forget" that it was revised text. Keep the formatting - ditch the track-by-author information.

Can this be done?

Plan-B is to just to screen-capture the text in pieces, convert them to JPG's, and just reinsert those as images in the new document (at which point, it will no longer be editable text). It is too much source text and trouble to try to recreate by hand in MS Word. (Even though I could screen-capture all characters, less formatting, using some other program.)

(Obviously), I've used MS Word for years, and would consider myself an "expert" user - I've even written several very complex macros in Word. But until now, I've never run across this weird situation. And I don't see an obvious object model construct for it. Perhaps Word 97 simply can not do it??

Thanks for your help!!!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

See if it has an export feature. Maybe you can export it to an rtf format or such, and then try a cut and paste from the exported document.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

nd

Good idea, but sadly, it did not work. Word 97 doesn't have an Export feature, but you can save as TXT (Windows or DOS flavors, with or without line breaks). Regardless of which one I choose, Word continues to accept all changes before writing the file. Thanks for the idea, though. I didn't think to try it until you mentioned it.

Reply to
mpm

Cut and paste is only for (raw) text; "formatting" of any type is lost. I think some of the older versions of Nerd allow import from Nerd97; that should keep the formatting.

Reply to
Robert Baer

-

How about Open Office? It gives you a lot more file options than any version of Word.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not possible... Word will treat the cut/paste as a (new) revision if revisions are on, and as a regular paste if revisions are off...

Reply to
PeterD

Right now, you're trying to move text from A to B. How about moving text from B to A.

Reply to
qrk

If I understand what you are trying to do, here are some possible solutions:

1) Make a copy of the original document then go into it, select the whole document with Ctrl-A, then reject all changes. Copy and paste from there.

2) Switch to Word 2007. I just gave it a try and it always seems to copy the text with full revision information, regardless of what is displayed. You can then reject all changes in the new document.

3) I don't remember if this option is available in 97, but in 2007 you can display final, final with markup, and original. If you have the option to display the original text, try copying and pasting from that.

-- Marc

Marc Guardiani

nd

oted text -

You're right - there is indeed a "bug" in Word-97 that prevents the correct copy-and-paste when the text includes tracked changes!! Turns out it's a fairly well-known bug, so I might have to rethink that "Word Expert" claim I made previously... :)

However, there is a workaround and it is downright genius!! I wish I could take credit for it, but it was suggested elsewhere on the Web. Here it is:

1 - Open the SOURCE document, and select what you want to copy. 2 - Insert, Bookmark, and define a name for your selected text. 3 - Save and close the SOURCE document - easier to just give it a new name at this point. 4 - Open the DESTINATION document, make sure "Track Changes" is OFF 5 - Position cursor to insertion point. 6 - Insert, File, and choose the document saved in step 3 7 - In the Range box, enter the bookmark name from step 2 8 - Click OK 9 - Insert, Bookmark (again), and delete the bookmark. (otherwise, the change notations remain) 10 - Done!!

Thanks to all who offered idea on solving this problem!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Export it to excel, and it will keep the formatting of the texts.

Then, all you'll have to deal with is how excel may have placed it into cells.

You could import (or cut and paste) it into a single cell.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Sorry, but advice from dopes that morph the name of a product to hint at their disdain for a given brand or such are... well... just pretty goddamned immature.

Sorry, but "cut and paste" DOES grab formatting, and the dependent factor is the destination.

Excel 2k7 AND 2k10 BOTH allow import from '97 files. They also allow creation of such files.

Office is one of the only remaining packages out there that has this depths of rearward compatibility.

Everybody else has followed Sony's hardware lead where they do not give a fat flying f*ck at all about the consumer. All they want is for you to buy whatever they have that is new.

Somtimes seems as if the whole goddamned world has lost track of what the word value means.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Yet still cannot open an excel file correctly without morphing something contained within it. Pretty SAD claim of full compatibility.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

You did say "Word Expert", not "Word bug expert".

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan