PADS schematic into Word doc

Screen captures to JPEG look awful.

I have an option to print my schematic as a file in Microsoft XPS format, but Word doesn't know what to do with that. Looks like the only thing that can open an XPS file is the XPS viewer!

I can output a nice PDF file, but Word really doesn't like that either.

So far, the best way is to print to our Sharp digital copier, then feed the paper back in and scan as a JPEG. That's barbaric.

Is there a good virtual printer utility that can make a quality JPEG or TIFF file from a CAD program?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Print to pdf and then extract the image with gimp or inkscape.

I'm kind of surprised that Word can't import PDF pages.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Why not use bmp? Thats lossless .

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

That's still a screen capture. Looks ratty.

Maybe I could buy Universal Document Converter. That looks pretty good.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I've used this...

in the past, with good success, but haven't paid for the version that will run on Win7.

I've found that schematics import into Word best as .EMF ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

PDF XChange Editor can export pdf's to a variety of image formats.

For a free solution PDFill PDF Tools will covert to png, jpg, bmp and tiff formats.

Reply to
JM

Well, Libre Office opens pdf files quite nicely, and you dont have to buy it.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

JPEG is always bad for drawings. Its compression is optimised for handling shading, in which it can hide its dithering. PNG is good for line art.

However, I suspect that CutePDF will do a good job of your task. Have you tried it?

Clifford.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

EMFs are great; I use them from Visio to Word for block diagrams. But PADS doesn't output EMFs.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I use that to print to a PDF file. But I want to show the schematic in Word.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Foxit PhantomPDF can export as jpg, jpg2000, png, tiff, and bmp. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Ahh right. Can you print to Postscript and make it EPS? I suspect Word will accept those (though the EPS conversion needs to keep the vectors, not rasterize it).

Reply to
Clifford Heath

What formats can PADS print-to-file?

I just took note that my venerable Paint Shop Pro 8 can convert between _38_ file types ;-)

One other solution is to load a generic PostScript print driver, print to .PS, rename extension to .EPS and import into Word. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

JPEGs are for photos, images with blended colors. Sharp contrasts like lines on a drawing are terrible in JPGs. Use PNC which supports many actual formats and will render line drawings nicely in GIF like modes or photo type images in JPG like modes without you needing to worry about it.

Get an app that lets you print to PNC.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Sorry, that would be PNG. If you want to use what's already on your PC, get a good image on your PC screen and take a screen capture. Open MS Paint and paste. Save as type PNG. Bob's your uncle.

If your schematic is poor on the screen I guess you are printing off a full page and the resolution of your screen is not adequate. Then you need a printing utility. As someone else pointed out saving as SVG format is an option that will work for vector drawings while PNG works for every type of image I've ever wanted to save.

--

Rick C
Reply to

In Orcad Capture you can Highlite all of the schematic. Then in word Create a new Object and Paste. work well, have you tried that? Good old DDE.

Martin Riddle

That doesn't seem to do anything.

So far, the best way is to print on the Sharp digital copier to B-size paper, then feed it back in and scan as a TIFF.

lunatic fringe electronics

I use the M$ snipping tool to cut/paste to Paint, then print to PDF.

Snip and paste directly into Word.

Reply to
krw

It can, but I've only used it on whole pages. I edit the NSW IEEE "Circuit" newsletter as a word .doc or .docx document (using LibreOffice), and that's how we include conference puffs.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If you'd like, I could open the PADS file in Altium and save it in a number of vector formats. :^)

Unfortunately, none of them are traditional vector graphics that Word will like, so a third conversion tool is still needed.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams