OT: Mozilla lost tons of email

Hello Folks,

Running Mozilla 1.7.3 and this morning it suddenly showed a very small Inbox. From the thousands of emails in there all but 30 or so have vanished. The Inbox file still has the large size it always had so they must be there (somewhere...) but they just won't show anymore. Instead, there was a strange empty and unopened "email" with a 1969 date, nothing in its message body, no subject, nada. Tried "View-All", nothing. Anybody have a clue what happened or what to do?

It's backed up except for those that came in overnight but some of these would be important.

Jim: I know, I know, maybe I should use a more reliable separate Email program. Mozilla has a bit too much bloat for my taste by now. Or maybe I go back to DOS where stuff like this simply doesn't happen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

You didn't need that E-mail anyway ;-)

Why don't you give Eudora a try now, particularly since it's now free and open-source?

I've been using Eudora since it first got started.

Aside: Bug in Mozilla Firefox?

If I fire up Firefox, then open a PDF (Acrobat v7) on a website there is lock-up.

However, if Acrobat is already loaded, it doesn't lock-up.

Anyone else experienced this?

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

"thousands" ??

In Eudora you can create folders. My Inbox only has 2 months of E-mails... 748 at the moment.

But I have folders, by year and month, going back thru 2001.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Well, it's about an agreement with a new client, so...

I'll try although I hate doing all this account setup again. But first I'd like to recover the emails.

Never had that happen. However, Firefox seems quite bloated as well, takes about the same time to load one of those dreaded PDF as Acrobat. Also, for some reason the PC sometimes uses Firefox, sometimes Acrobat. On Firefox that stupid download manager comes up, no idea what that is good for. Too much fluff I guess.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Jim,

Yep. Searches work much faster if it isn't in directories. Or folders in Windows speak...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg schrieb:

That's a rather old version - think about upgrading to SeaMonkey 1.0.6.

Maybe they are just marked "invisible" or "deleted". Do not activate "compress folders"....

You should ask that in de.comm.software.mozilla.mailnews (german) or mozilla.support.mozilla-suite (english, only on the original mozilla server).

I find Mozilla (and today SeaMonkey) to be a pretty stable tool for mail, news, and browser as well. However, I also organize/archive my mails in folders so inbox/outbox only rarely exceed 10 MB.

Tilmann

--
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.
Reply to

Hello Tilmann,

Yes, but life has taught me that if something works then don't try to fix it. Because doing that usually creates grief.

Nope :-(

And there is only one profile so that can't be the culprit either.

Good idea. Initially I didn't do that because in those types of forums they often give answers that only a hardcore C++ programmer can fathom.

It's certainly more stable than Netscape or IE but nowhere near as solid as my old Mosaic was. Ah, the good old DOS days. I never, ever, had any issues like this back then.

Mine is >200M but I have to deal with large CAD files, EMI screen shots and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Haven't seen that. I have Firefox 2 which DOES have some confusing changes, aka BLOAT.

Make sure of your plug-in settings. Until I got that straight I had some "peculiarities".

...Jim Thompson

Hello Tilmann,

Cannot access them from here, my news server doesn't seem to carry them :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Not in the NEW Eudora, it's the new search feature that turned me on to updating... blazingly fast, MULTIPLE search terms.

...Jim Thompson

My Inbox is 5.9MB and Outbox is 2.1MB

And, for example, 2005 folder is only 23MB

...Jim Thompson

Hit by a virus/worm? You're running a software firewall, right?

Try scanning for viruses...?

Try also looking in the directory where the inbox messages are stored... anything there?

Mozilla - is that the same as running Thunderbird?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Mozilla also keeps index files in teh same directory. Thay have a similar name to teh folde rbut append .idx, I think. Maybe Windows hides them, I don't know.

If you delete those, Mozilla will re-create the index when it accesses the mailbox.

Make a backup first. I've done this in the past, but can give no guarantees.

Or load a copy of the mailbox in some word processor. The mailbox file itself is just a big file with messages concatenated with some kind of separator in between messages. Hard to navigate but easy to search.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Hello Jim,

How on earth do you do that? Biz email for 2005 alone would fill a whole CD.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Zak,

Backing up is the next step here. Then I'll fiddle with those indexes (but not before...)

I prefer separate files for each eamil but in today's word that's gone. That is what I liked about the old Compuserve client. It did not do that. It created one file per message and indexed that by date and running numbers. Was a breeze to search and find.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

(1) I weed out the crap.

(2) Attachments are saved in a separate directory, NOT in the mailboxes... currently 703MB ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

So do I.

That I can't always do, for legal reasons. Message integrity can't be compromised, at least not for any med projects. It is similar to why we have to keep strict design history files. Meaning I can't just tear up an old schematic and use it to start the barbeque :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

mines fine also.

I hated it for a while, then got used to it. I think playing around with the settings and getting a better understanding will help. I now expect the download manager to be there.

I guess I do too much personal multi-tasking, when I come back to the manager, I can see where my downloads are up to.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460
Reply to
Don McKenzie

If you sort your mail into folders, before backing up, the resulting mailbox still points to the correct attachment.

Only ninnies (and leftist weenies) put attachments in the body ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Joerg a écrit :

My wife had such pb short after installing thunderbird, which I believe is nothing different than the mozilla suite.

I don't had the english version so I may not give you the right menu names. The View-All is not enough and I had to reset all the display settings: Under the View/Display? menu you have to reset the sort (3 entries), messages and thread menu entries. That fixed it all for us.

--
Thanks,
Fred.