OT: motivational question

On a sunny day (Sat, 30 May 2015 14:06:26 -0400 (EDT)) it happened bitrex wrote in :

Go with the flow. The universe expands the way it does. There are theories about entropy [you could perhaps apply].

I have done repair work for a large part of my life, and every case is new, it is done when it works, often under large time pressure, like in broadcasting, media. No time to get bored in either case. I have done design work for a long time, and I find it challenging. Designing exactly the same thing never happens, as that part has then already become a building block that I will use over and over again. Sometimes technology advances and you are back into the learning curve, new processor, new methods, I remember the jump from analog to digital TV. It is easier said than done, especially if you have to write the software that does not exist yet. Else it is just reading specs after specs, and, as somebody mentioned, there are so many standards to choose from you will never be bored. I just do what I am interested in, and leave if I am no longer interested. Longest I ever was at one company was 8 years,. I told my employers count me out after 4 years.

Life is an adventure, you only get one take.

entropy... Now.. So I want a new boat, you can buy all navigation equipment, auto pilot, sometimes its is already installed, so what is it and what is the best for survival (ocean and coastal waters), what do I trust, do I even trust my own designs? Let's see what I can write and build, so you think you can get bored here, now all these equipment needs to work together, look up NMEA here come the standards, or should we drop those too? Then there is the physics of it, then math of it, I spend 3 DAYS (from 8 in the morning to 8 at night) doing collision detection math, read many many papers and different solution for it found via google, and changed my code many times, test vectors, do I trust my own code? No way, now there is a challenge, How the f*ck can you get bored, sensors, make those waterproof, temperature proof, power failure safe, displays, cabling, what can and what cannot be done. I think in design and research there never is a moment where you are finished. The point with software over hardware is that you can easily update the software, updating hardware costs money, I recently got some request from somebody about doing things faster, did not even want to get into it, but did decide to mention using FPGA... and pointed out Linux as no solution. But sometimes I think talking to a software developer about doing things in FPGA with HDL is like talking to the pope about some other religion. This world is stuck in ways and will stay there as people have financial incentives (jobs) to keep doing things the wrong way. never mind the customers, they suffer and pay and will buy new stuff in the shortest time anyways, hey I am ranting, what was the question? You got bored? How can that be, I have so much code to write and hardware to test... Sometimes I pick up some code I started on and was waiting for parts or something can hardly remember what it did and how. You must be kidding right?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks, Rick, I'll do that if the email to Jim's Cox address also fails. Though that's unlikely, those tend to always work.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Now I have to come out with them revelation that I am cave man: In my whole life I sent one lone text message and that took forever. My Flintstonian cell phone has only a small number keypad.

I wonder if there is a way to text people via email (keeping the 140 or whatever character limit).

I just sent it there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It's the very same here. Anchovies also make me thirsty so I usually weave in an extra beer at night. But that one is alcohol-free, else my weight would balloon right back up and it took me about 3000 miles of hard bicycling (steep hills, gnarly trails) to get there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

an't

good

and

ed.

ng

of

ral

text messages is the best thing since sliced bread, unlike a phone call, you can read it when ever you have time and you can go back and look at it later

there is, it used to be standard that you could send mail to phonenumber@ph onecompany.com and it would be sent as an sms but I think spam killed it so now you have to sign up for a service, plenty of them free I think, that will forwards as sms for you

don't think the character limit is an issue anymore, phones and the system will figure out the splitting and assembling

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There still is a way. I have E-mailed Joerg how to use E-mail to text me. ...Jim Thompson

I've been at the "don't take a second helping" method for about 1.5 years... dropped 30 pounds... BP 110/64 ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Agreed but with a numeric-only keyboard, like the antique Joerg calls a "cell phone", they really are useless. Once one crosses the "smart phone" line, SMS messages are great. ...almost as good as email.

I think each of the carriers has a way to do this. Verizon does, anyway.

krw

Good question. Personally, I really struggle so there's no point in taking on any project that's likely to take months to complete as something more stimulating will invariably supervene and take over - until that falls by the wayside in favour of the *next* big thing. And so on. I hope you get some useful answers as I'd like to cultivate the ability to maintain interest in projects long-term.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Some people have all the luck.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've thought about it but then the service pops from $7/mo to $35/mo and I rarely would use it for anything more than what I do today, the very occasional call.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

But you probably cut back on the red wine as well. It would be tough for a German-born person to forego the evening beer :-)

What helped me a bit was switching to popcorn to replace the occasional mid-day meal. The non-buttered stuff where a whole big bag has around

150 calories or less.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I do it all the time. Seems like lots of people are giving up on email and never check it. So if I want to have a permanent record of it I send an email to their phone number and often get a reply to my email.

The syntax of the email address depends on the phone company. If you google email to text you will find pages that tell you the format for all the carriers. For Verizon it has been @vtext.com but more recently I get emails from @vzwpix.com. I expect both still work.

--

Rick
Reply to

Nope. Didn't cut back on the wine, but should... I'd like to drop another ten pounds down to 160... the 30 pound drop has had such a significant effect on the spring in my step... I feel great ;-)

I love the non-buttered stuff, but my intestines don't :-( ...Jim Thompson

Even better, you can ignore them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Of course you don't think you'd use it. You never have. I rarely get a phone call (well, I was playing phone-tag with my cardiologist's office last week) but use SMS, email, and Internet connectivity constantly.

Reply to
krw

What would I use it for on my bicycle trips and such? On my mountain bike I am actually kind of glad when the cell phone shows zero bars for

10 miles or so. Except that I have to make sure not to crash real hard out there.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Bicycle trips are the only thing in your life? You do *nothing* else?

That would be a good reason to carry one (if, of course there was service on a significant part of the trip).

Reply to
krw

Sure I do. But the number of biz trips has shrunk to next to nothing due to the increasing popularity of GoToMeeting and similar services. While driving I never use the cell, on aircraft I can't, and for almost everywhere else I have a netbook.

I consider it very rude to focus on a smart phone while sitting down for a meal with people. Or during meetings of any kind, during dog walks with others, whatever. I also do not share the obsessions of many people who can't sleep at night if they don't have a smart phone on their nightstand that oinks every time a text comes in. So where would I want to use it much?

I have a simple Flintstonian model which is phone-only. Good enough, covers emergencies. It can also text if need be but cumbersome. It uses CDMA so better performance in multi-path. What advantage would a smart phone afford me on a trail?

In the rare instances where I do want to do some work out there I carry a notepad or, if absolutely necessary, a netbook.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

Absolutely. My favorite "smart" phone hilarity dates back a few years...

We're in Spinato's having some pasta and wine ;-)

Family of four... father, mother, teen-age son and daughter come in and are seated near us.

EACH of them is clutching a "smart" phone.

They order their food.

NOT ONCE did they engage in any conversation with each other... just constantly poking the keys :-(

We, on the other hand are often asked if we're newlyweds !! They figure us to be widow/widower in a new marriage... since we are in lively conversation thru-out our meal... they're stunned when we say we've been married for 55 years ;-)

[snip]

I do find texting to be useful... at least inbound... "Amazon shipment has been delivered to your neighborhood mailbox"... "a wire deposit to your account has been received"... "your prescriptions are ready for pick-up", etc ;-) ...Jim Thompson