Tek 465 degree-of-difficulty repair

I found a 465 at the dump with a sticker on it saying "Horizontal deflection bad". Before I even power it up I thought that I'd get opinions on how bad the problem likely is. Best case: "That happens all the time & it's a bad Qxxx transistor in the framazazzle". LOL Worst case: "It could be any number of things and you'll likely spend hours and hours to fix a $100 scope". I do have the service manual & another scope.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Rob

That's what I call "right to repair". In the UK it is not permitted to take kit away from a dump, in case you are not as competent as you think you are...

Reply to
Mike Coon

_________

Where do you think I got my stash of spare TV remotes from?

If a bar's got a Sony on the wall, in Vivid mode, Im can whip out my Sony remote, and at least put it in Standard mode.

Reply to
Chris K-Man

It's a relatively simple part of the scope, if it's an accurate diagnosis.

Helps if you have a working scope to repair this one.

RL

Reply to
legg

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: =========================

** You are asking a " Schrodinger's Cat " type question.

The cat can be thought dead or alive - until you open the box.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**Who knows? Download a service manual and get to work. The 465/b is an excellent 'scope and built to last a VERY long time.
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

I second the motion to join & post on the TekScopes message board. A lot o f *very* knowledgeable ppl hang out there. IMHO, I'd spend 15 mins with it plugged in to understand more clearly the characteristics of the malfuncti on. If you put that info in your post, you might get a bit more of an answ er along the lines you are looking for. A 465 is a very well-known and popular scope. It was standard gear for DE C and IBM field circus back in the day, and a typical scope in a lot of col lege EE labs. good luck J

Reply to
three_jeeps

Thats the moment I secretly use my TV-B-Gone

Kind regards, Eike

Reply to
Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE

------------------------------

** Antique scope freaks .....
** Had the use of the earlier & similar a Tek 463 for a couple of years. On loan, from a Sydney based IBM engineer - son of the man I worked for. Not very fond of it cos it lacked the one thing a good analogue scope needs. A sharply focused trace.

The PDA ( post deflection acceleration ) tube was poor and you could see the blurring effect of the acceleration grid behind the face of the CRT all the time. It also had an external, lamp lit graticule - very clunky compared internal graticule tubes that most scope used from the 1980s onwards.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

-----------------------

Correction:

** Had the use of the earlier & similar a Tek 453 for a couple of years.
Reply to
Phil Allison

I have a Tektronix 453A, which has a very sharp focus. The 453 was 50 MHz w ith Nuvistor inputs, the 453A is solid state and works to 65 MHz. It was bu ilt for Telex, for their field techs. I've had it since 1988, and it was we ll worth the $400 that I paid for it. I now have two Tektronix 2465A scopes. Four channel, 350 MHz.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

**The 453 used Nuvistors in parts of the machine. It also had this horrible 'flyscreen' covering the CRT display. Like almost all Teks, mine worked flawlessly.
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

** I'm sure that is a projection from the internal PDA mesh. Defocussing the trace made it really obvious.

There was a plastic graticule over the CRT screen.

My current scope has a mesh PDA mesh that is quite invisible. The CRT is by Matsushita - type 140CBG31

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Low-bandwidth scopes tended to have better focus. The noise of the vertical amplifiers can of course be reduced by filtering out the high frequency noise afterwards. The trace on a 475 gets quite a bit sharper when it is set into low-bandwidth mode. Perhaps it is an argument for having two scopes, one with a sharp trace and one with more bandwidth. I haven't got any reasonable justification for the number of analogue scopes that I have though, apart from "that looks too good to stay in the dumpster".

Reply to
Chris Jones

Chris Jones Pommy Shit wrote: ==================== >

** Dopes tend to say idiotic things ...
** Totally irrelevant to my comments.

Just as fuckwits like you are to normal humans.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:17:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@tards.shortbus.edu obsessed:

Dumbfuck OCD. FCKWAFA!

Reply to
None

Many wideband scopes can be switched to 20MHz mode to mask harmonics and stray RF pickup..

Reply to
Michael Terrell

** Also to reduce visible noise coming from the *input stages* when using the most sensitive vertical settings.

I have a band limiting filter ( 22Hz to 20kHz, -12dB/oct ) I can insert after some audio device that outputs noise above that range, CD players & Class D stuff for example. But one really needs a multi stage, ceramic filter to do the job well.

Early CD players by Sony had them fitted - made by Murata.

Down 1dB at 22kHz and then -100dB /oct. Nice.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison