OT: manual for laptop

I just got an AST Ascentia A41 need i need to (1) replace the CMOS battery, and (2) put a hard drive in it. I found 5 screws on the bottom that hold it together, and pried/released the latches in the front at the keyboard. Two of those screws are in the back, left and right side; i can pry it apart in those areas, but the middle does not budge for squat. Keeping the front pried open using a pen, is of no help. The largest "comfortable" gap i can keep open is about 1/4 inch; along the front and to left and right at the back.

The Baby Bird (GooGull) us useless to find manuals;

gives two sites that PRETEND to have manuals and one looks like a twin of the other. In any case, one selects the manual and gives a e-mail address. The next screen says "You will receive an email soon with the login details and a direct link to dowload your manual." (that is their spelling). Wait HOURS, get NOTHING. Absolute BS.

So, how do i get a manual?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I know of no source for a manual and I've never serviced an AST Ascentia A41, but...

There may be one or more enclosure screws hidden beneath the label(s) on the bottom. Removing the label(s) may be worth a try.

Good luck.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Probably a screw or two hiding under an antitamper label that also has serial number and other critical goodies on on it. You should be able to work out where by which part doesn't move.

Laptops are the very devil to dismantle although you should be able to swap a hard drive without much effort most manufacturers make access to the drive bays easy. I did once have an AST 950N ages ago.

You don't half pick them! Buy one on eBay?

Search YouTube for a tedious annoying video of how to do it? (works well for a lot of undocumented Nintendo stuff - voids warrantee)

Driver disks do seem to be available online but not manuals.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Also, often the intended access for laptops is by detaching the keyboard.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Sort-of.. 5 screws on bottom one is easily accessible after battery is removed. In front of the keyboard, there are tabs inside that can be un-latched. At that point, it is _almost_ apart,but in the middle of the back there is something holding it together like gangbusters. Nothing visible. Yes there are two (in-accessible) screws under the hinge,but it is plain that they are not holding top/keyboard to bottom/base (position and placement far away from the ONE "tie-down").

Reply to
Robert Baer

The one non-mobile point is at/very close to the back, and far away from label. Will try YouTube; i am guessing they have some kind of search, or does one use the Baby Bird (GooGull)?

Reply to
Robert Baer

YouTube not useful so far; dis-assembly of Toshiba laptops there but not for AST.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I had my Toshiba laptop apart, I had to remove a cover over the WiFi pcb, under that was a screw holding the DVD drive, remove that, slide out the drive which was hiding two case screws. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Unfortunately, a Toshiba laptop is a totally different Chinese puzzle...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Sometimes the top deck above the keyboard snaps in place. Hiding the keyboard screws etc. My gateway is like that.

Martin Riddle

I have seen YouTube vids that show what you are talking about. The "top deck" is one piece from the front to the back, including the hinge part. Held down by the 5 screws i found, plus one "invisible" one, at the back in the middle. There are two sites that PRETEND to have manuals:

and
They DO NOT respond.

Reply to
Robert Baer

spelling).

Maybe from Samsung? They bought AST in 1996.

In the mean time is the back of the laptop removable? If so, try removing it to find the hidden screw. Also look for screws along the side near the screen and see what they might release to find the hidden screw.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Wayback machine?

Reply to
pedro

First of all, I'm guessing that the sites you found that use e-mail for replies are just harvesting e-mail addresses. You could ask for a repair manual for the NC-1701 and they'd offer to send you one. Hope you used a disposable address.

How old is that? Sites like iFixit don't go back to earlier models, so you might be out of luck there.

Did you get the keyboard out? Chances are there is a screw right in the middle underneath that holding the thing together. There could also be some under the hard drive or anything else for which there is an access panel on the back.

Shoot straight you bastards! Don't make a mess of it.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Contacted Samsung; the "live chat" group has zero info on AST stuf; had to remind them of a Samsung news flyer concerning Ascentia (AST trade name) model M in Korea...

** No (new) screws; finally got the display split in half without breaking it...so flimsy. NOW there are too many screws and need to figure which one(s) (gotta be 1 or 2 at most) to try..
Reply to
Robert Baer

Have attached a "log" of my "progress" in abse. Any ideas, no matter how crazy, as to what is keeping it together?

Reply to
Robert Baer

To make a pun, the "key" was to pry/lift the keyboard at the bottom left and right. Unplugging the 2 Kapton ribbon connectors was a little dicey (thus will be a bitch plugging back in). That made 5 screws available; removal allowed separation. The damn hard drive was not mounted to anything; it could easily rattle around and bump against anything. No wonder the BIOS or anything else could not find it; it was trashed.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I told you that weeks ago! :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

You did; was afraid to try that as it looks so delicate. Despite some care,i trashed a key.

Reply to
Robert Baer