OT: "knotty" question

Multi-wrap plus two half-hitches?

Or tie the upper portion of a hangman's noose around the cylinder? ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Is anyone an expert on knots? Especially name(s) of those that have superior grabbing capability

*around* a smooth cylindrical surface?
Reply to
Robert Baer

I think it depends on what you need it for. Do you just need to hold on to the cylinder? Or are you going to be turning the cylinder, or be turned on to the cylinder?

I think the standard is you take the standing end and it goes first under and then over and then under the turns around the cylinder...

Reply to
Charlie E.

Robert Baer schrieb:

Hello,

what is the direction of force to the knot? Axial direction of the cylinder or tangential? For axial direction, a Prusik knot might work. But the friction coefficent between the used rope and the cylinders surface should be not too small.

The knot may be modified using more than two turns on each side around the cylinder.

Here you see the application on a cylinder with axial force direction:

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Not such an expert, but it sounds like you want a bottle knot (so-called because it's fine for dangling longneck beer bottles in the cool water).

Complete Book of Knots, Geoffrey Budworth, calls it a jug sling.

Reply to
whit3rd

Look up clove hitch.

Reply to
John S

You should find something applicable here.

Or here.

Art

Reply to
Artemus

Here you are:

The gripping capability will depend on the surface of the cylinder, type of rope and direction of the pull relative to the cylinder's axis.

The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to
pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.
   -- Benjamin Franklin
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Someone referred to "old rope", which I presumed was for gripping reasons ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I like the 2nd option; thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Just hold. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

OOOh! Like the animated!! Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

How about the US Army Rigging handbook?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That sounds like a large bra. :)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Prussik knots are the standard for gripping round a rope, whether they will work on a smooth surface dunno.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

You might want to look at the Prusik knot.

You can hitch it around as many times as necessary. It will slide when loose and is tight when there is a pulling force. Good for climbing up or down.

Regards Werner

Reply to
Werner

capability

Then you might try a clove hitch and a taut line hitch.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Ooooh. The icicle hitch looks like it is to the point.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk