OT: Intel CEO economic observations

Otellini's remarks during dinner at the Technology Policy Institute's Aspen Forum here amounted to a warning to the administration officials and assorted Capitol Hill aides in the audience: unless government policies are altered, he predicted, "the next big thing will not be invented here. Jobs will not be created here."

The U.S. legal environment has become so hostile to business, Otellini said, that there is likely to be "an inevitable erosion and shift of wealth, much like we're seeing today in Europe--this is the bitter truth."

Ref:

Robert Baer

IDK about inventing big things, but fundamental research seems pretty healthy here in the ol' U.S. of A. Some quick googling: since 2008 the U.S. has won 14 nobel prizes (wikipedia on nobel winners by country), or about .05 per milliion population. Nobels per million pop rounded to one sig fig for Germany: .03 U.K.: .05 France: .05 We're still comparable with the big Euro countries. If you go back a century and count all nobels and divide by present population (not such a great way to calculate it, but whaddya want from me?) you get U.S. 1 Fr .9 Ger 1.3 U.K. 1.9

Looks like we're actually kind of catching up and passing Europe.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

And as you will also discover, turning that into product will be done somewhere else.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

and

re.

th."

kipedia

me?)

and unless it is based in china it will be sued out of existance by patent trolls the second it starts to make money

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Death by lawyer. And when the man with the gun points it at your head you can tell him that you own the intellectual property on that gun and he better hand it over or you will sue him.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax