economic mystery

If there's an Invisible Hand that makes supply rise to meet demand, how come Safeway is always out of Boston Creme Donuts?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

They stopped selling them last year. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Because the invisible hand is always one day late and day-old donuts make pennies out of George Washington.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

They have them now and then.

A bigger mystery: why are there no Dunkin Donuts here?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Donuts are so last century. Everything here has gone to cupcakes.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Someone is not paying attention, it's a people problem. My wife babysits a business and makes sure they always have our product. If it was up to the employees, they would call saying," we are out, can you get us any today?" Find out who is responsible for that item and tell them, if you don't have it, I can't buy it, and I haven't been able to buy it to often. Hrumph! Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I think it's related to the construction industry.

When we lived in Ahwatukee, a well-established neighborhood, there was only one dinky little Dunkin' Donuts, 8 miles away.

Now that we are in San Tan Valley (the boonies, where there are new-house builds everywhere), there seems to be a Dunkin' Donuts at every one-mile grid point ;-)

And we're talking fancy Dunkin' Donuts, serving breakfast as well as the usual donut collection, and they always have my favorite, crullers ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Pretty soon you can buy them at Amazon I guess, like so many other things where local shops are often out. With some spare parts I sometimes even don't go looking anymore and hit the Internet right away.

One sunny day the motor on our evap cooler blew out with a spectacular fireworks (spewing stuff into the living room ...). Went to two Home Depots where the thing is from. They couldn't even find it to order one for me. Could not believe it. Wasted 1h driving around, went onto the web, five minutes later I had an order confirmation email, three days later the motor was here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yep, Amazon, "From whence all good things come" >:-}

I did run into an interesting thing a few weeks back. Went looking for a tapered reamer (mine is still packed away by the movers in a box somewhere). TruValue, "Nope". Lowe's, "What?"

Went to Home Depot (*), assistant manager, "Nope, but I know what you want, let me search for you." Whips out his iPhone, and found what I wanted at Sears, had it held for me, and I went a few miles further north into Mesa and picked it up. How's that for service. I was astonished!

Only hiccup was that Sears clerks had trouble finding it on the shelf :-(

(*) Queen Creek Home Depot if you want the same service. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Cupcakes have come and gone here in the cultural vangard. Now we have morning buns and $4 toast.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Because you Silicon Valley types eat "Krispy Kreme," no less. :) They still around?

Reply to
haiticare2011

This Safeway used to have bialys, which were wonderful. Then they didn't. I went to the Customer Service desk and asked about the bialys. They'd never heard of them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

I guess day-old Boston Creme donuts are better than no Boston Creme donuts. Three days, not so much.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Yes, but they're junk compared to Dunkin.

At least we have In-n-Out Burger.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

They are working hard on that front:

I guess you guys in the big city will see that happen a lot earlier than us mountain folks. But not in Truckee.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Wild Cherries, home-baked stuff and serious coffee in Truckee, is super. And of course Mary Belles, in Auburn, on the way up. Both next to fire houses, for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, there's tons of great food here. But I do miss the Boston Cremes.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Yup, this morning I went to Lowes and Home Depot looking for Peal and Seal tape with a white backing. They didn't have it, 5 minutes on the internet I had it ordered. Mikek

My first call was to a aluminum and building company, they installed the original Peal and Seal, the company was closed. The companies I was looking for build Florida type rooms, aluminum covered styrofoam. I thought it odd that they closed, it seemed to be a busy place. I went to another similar business, their sign said photography?, I went in anyway and found they still had an aluminum business but not my peal and seal. I ask about Dan's aluminum, he said, they aren't around anymore. I ask if the business is bad because of the bad economy, his answer was, partly, but financing was the bigger problem. Before the banking problems about 60% of his loan applicants were approved, after the bank problems about 15% got approved. His sales people could make it selling a 100 jobs and getting 15 approved. :-(

Reply to
amdx

More cops.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If we move this company, which we probably will, we might have the engineering lab be a sort-of screen room. I was thinking foil-covered foam sheets inside the walls, aluminum foil, and aluminum tape here and there, under the sheetrock walls and maybe the floor. Or maybe window screen stuff or chicken wire and lots of staples. Not perfect shielding, but enough to keep Sutro Tower and VF drive noise down some. Maybe some AC line filters in the breaker panels. LED lighting instead of fluorescents.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Because they make their money selling really terrible coffee to people who don't know any better. Hard to do in SF.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs