economic absurdities (2023 Update)

This mess reinforces my contention that nobody should be in charge of economies, and especially not economists.

OTOH, Turkey (true to it's name) lowers interest rate to fight inflation. What gives?

Reply to
Ed Lee

Ha ha ha the end of "easy money." Can't say I've ever come by much "easy money" recently, I'm only working harder for it as of late matter-of-fact.

Austerity is always for you, it's never for "them." I can see how some get the Democrats confused with communists because they do love themselves a state-sponsored enterprise.

I Wonder how many newly-minted trillionaires there will need to be, and how often in the future the DOD yearly budget goes over a trillion bucks, before working Americans come around to the idea that sad little $1200 stimulus checks and child tax credits for them isn't the big idea behind who all the money-printing is intended to benefit.

Reply to
bitrex

Economists tend to figure inflation is primarily a sign of excessive aggregate spending, not excessive government spending in isolation.

IIRC Turkey is in a stagflation situation.

Reply to
bitrex

He's a populist tyrant of the type the US finds useful from time to time, as opposed to the type of populist who tends to pop up in e.g. Venezuela whom the US tends to not find useful.

Now that his usefulness is in decline he's maybe trying by any means necessary to avoid the fate of other populist nationalists in the developing world whose usefulness to the US has run its course; economic collapse followed by austerity measures from the World Bank and IMF etc. slamming the population further into poverty causing said tyrant to be deposed and thereby prime properties and business interests in said country becoming available for appropriation and privatization by globalist oligarchs for pennies on the dollar.

The all-important economists and international investors will once again be satisfied, "democracy" will be restored, and what happens to the destitute population immaterial. Seems unlikely he'll be successful in the long run at preventing this outcome.

Reply to
bitrex

John Larkin doesn't know anything about economics, and likes to see this as a virtue.

It isn't. Claiming that other people don't know anything about economics is a way of comforting himself about his own inadequacies.

He wants all the flattery he can get, and has to supply a lot of it himself.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Turkey's government hasn't got a clue.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

There's nothing in that article to support that idea. The worst of past economic upheavals were the ones handled by laissez-faire principles; that's what 'nobody in charge' means, and it's a known way to fail.

Reply to
whit3rd

On a sunny day (Thu, 23 Dec 2021 11:08:03 -0800) it happened John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Its heavy, I know :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

whit3rd snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Like nixon devaluing the gold standard. Repercussions will reverberate for decades.

Trump refused to listen to the nation's top economic advisors about his trade war with China plans, and he thumbed his nose at them and damaged the nation with his stupid crap anyway. But for him it was OK. Sure.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

True, if you don't think about it.

Some modest rules-of-the-game are stabilizing. Government regulator economists buying and selling trillions in assets, forcing interest rates, playing at being the superstars of civilization, are destabilizing.

Zero interst rates have interesting side effects. Own land. Even that is tricky nowadays.

Reply to
jlarkin

Why is that chart not euros per kilogram?

Zero interest rates almost force politicians to borrow without limit. It's free money. There's no easy way down; the regulators are too afraid of being blamed for the next stock market crash, which they should be blamed for.

Economic regulators seem to control bang-bang-rail-to-rail, too much too late. No derivative terms.

Reply to
jlarkin

Because Jan Panteltje chose the units that Americans would understand. The web-site offers a whole range of currencies and several different weight units.

They do make it easy, but there's no force involved.

There's a perfectly easy way down - as the economy recovers, prices start going up, and the interests can be adjusted back up to limit the money supply to the level that the economy needs to keep running with minimal inflation. It's part of the Keynesian prescription. People who prefer their economic theories to be mathematically tractable, rather than predictive, don't have a clue what's going on. James Arthur seems to be one of them.

It's a non-linear system. Sentiment and business confidence are important, and hard to measure accurately. If you insist that the market is omniscient and totally rational (which is what you need to make your models mathematically tractable), you don't even try.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

On a sunny day (Fri, 24 Dec 2021 06:08:43 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yea, you got a point there, I was reading UK, now it left the EU, is back to pints again:

Nixon disconnected the dollar from gold.... US dollar has been losing value ever since (was the reason he disconnected it I think).

With the amount of debt US is accumulating, more ever few years, your chocolates will be become very expensive. When other countries no longer want to buy US debt US will try to rob them by war. Now that everybody and their cat has nukes a nuculear war is not far away.

Precedent ByeThen is now trying to create a war in Europe in Ukrain, like that other deamoncrate Bill Clignon did to destabilize the EU (Trump got UK to leave it via his clown boris) and decrease the strength of the Euro to prevent it from becoming a dollar replacement.

Gold has been solid through the ages.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In the last 10 years, the dollar has gained on the euro, the pound, and the yen.

Didn't the pound used to cost $5? It's $1.36 now.

No, inflation will do.

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Fri, 24 Dec 2021 08:17:17 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Inteh beginning it varied wildly, sort of stable now:

UK has also massive inflation But check everything against the goldprice / standard.

Before WW2 in Germany there was HUGE inflation history has this habit of repeating itself:

down to 1873-1948

If we look at the USD in the same way, then war is coming, US is just printing paper no end these days, ByeThen wants to print a few billion more. If his printing fails he will start a war,

Actually I did see an interview with ByeThen on CNN and now I also believe he has a memory problem he could not remember the difference between pills and vaccines for 3 minutes. His facial expression looked totally stressed, never seen anything like that.

If he dies and Kamality Harris takes over ... hide under bed??

I have and did read George Soros' book 'The Alchemy of Finance', it is a lot about politics, and he also writes 'the market is always wrong'.

You can inflate the debt away perhaps, but where does that leave your people? Lots of stuff comes from China and other countries. Revolution, states falling apart perhaps.

War is coming.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Does 'destabilizing' mean bad? The massive WWII spending and the subsequent 50s-era boom were the end of the great depression. Stability would have just continued the depression.

When has a 'regulator economist' ever bought trillions in assets?

Poseurs in power are a problem, of course; I thought you liked those, though, from your comments on the Donald. He disliked the look of a mask... that's how image-conscious and consequence-oblivious poseurs act. That lack of the virtues of wisdom, temperance, fortitude is what made him (IMHO) such a weak leader. His pardons of cronies and firings of inspectors general (etc.) were his display of injustice, thus covering all four cardinal virtues.

Reply to
whit3rd

Huh? Bonds at low interest for 50 years would have looked good to investors WHEN, exactly? Bonds don't issue until someone buys in, you know.

Reply to
whit3rd

He's a creep and I certainly don't like him. But he had common sense and did a lot of good stuff. Operation Warp Speed saved a lot of lives. Tax cuts created a lot of jobs. Build A Wall makes sense and also saves lives.

Well, cloth masks are silly. And lockdowns probably made things worse.

Cuomo didn't save lives.

Policy and actions are too important to get worked up over who you like or don't like. Think.

Reply to
jlarkin

Smart economists would correctly predict the future. But they can't.

Reply to
jlarkin