OT: How to electrocute an ant.

I have what appears to be an ants nest behind my mains socket (240v ac). I am guessing that when an ant steps on the live that it is ok much like a bird on the power lines - since the rest of it's body does not touch earth. I see a whole load of them coming in and out the neutral terminal socket (there is no shutter cover unlike the UK). I replaced the socket and found hoards of dead ones behind the wall though but they still keep coming...WIll they get killed or only when there is enough of them to form a bridge bewteen live and earth (or neutral?)

Reply to
sheepshaggerx

I suggest that you find a picture of a termite and compare its body structure as opposed to ants... there's a difference.

BTW I don't think ants are very conductive... exoskeleton!!

...Jim Thompson

Get some Terro ant killer. They swallow it and take it back to the nest in their second stomach, feed it to the queen, and wipe out the colony in a few days.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hey - anyhing will conduct eventually!!

Reply to
sheepshaggerx

They are trying to communicate with you.

Charish them :)

Bye, Skybuck ;)

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I had a lizard (anole) get across a circuit breaker in my building's outside power panel,and it arced,something copper melted and began shooting flaming balls out of a melted hole in the front,with an odd sound "pop- foosh,pop-foosh",it was like a Roman Candle.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

We usually have at least one squirrel a year stand on the transformer can while reaching up and over the insulator to the main line coming into the complex. Last one popped so loud it make me jump and did nasty things to it from the steam pressure. Previous one did a slow cook and browned out the business for about 2 minutes until it cooked off. Squirrel, the other white meat.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Friends of yours?

-- "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

"

Reply to
Jamie

You're an idiot.

The word is Cherish.

You're an idiot, BuckTard

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Don't you mean "the other fully caramelized, fried to a crisp beyond jerky toughness meat..."?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Look that ant is trying to communicate with us as well via usenet.

He is not having much look with it yet though.

His translator is still buggy and malfunctioning =D

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Try peppermint oil. Reputedly, ants cant stand it.

Reply to
Joseph2k