How to Fix a Rats Nest of Cables at a Workstation

How to Fix a Rats Nest of Cables at a Workstation?

I have a ball of AC cables and adapters under my desk..

  • video cables, USB cables, keyboard etc... I'm using 14 power bar outlets (from 3 power bars) to power up my workstation + other gizmos.

It's unfortunate a ball of wires hasn't become trendy home decor :)

Anybody have some tidy solutions? I thought of making a mini "electrical room" cabinet... :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

The HARD way!

1: Make the rat clean up its mess. 2: Shoot the rat so it doesn't make another mess.

The EASY way!

I have 4, 4" square electrical boxes bolted together with two duplex outlets in each box. This is mounted under my computer desk, and plugs into my UPS. It holds all the wall warts and AC power cords. 18' and

36" IEC power cords are used wherever possible.

Excess wire is coiled up and tied up with wire reinforced plant ties. (Think a spool of green bread ties.) Reusable self adhesive plastic clips route keyboard and mouse cables to the multiple computers.

The main network printer is on a shelf over the desk, along with a set of computer speakers, cable modem, router, cordless phone, and a digital scanner with weather band to monitor NOAA for bad weather info. I can have up to four working computers in use at one time.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hooks on the underside of the desk. Or Panduit. Or a rug.

Why isn't everything nuclear powered and wireless?

John

Ratts!! There's always a hard way..

Cool... You made a super 16 receptacle power bar.. ) I wouldn't be surprised to hear that home wall receptacles are wayy better than most power bar receptacles. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Rug?? I just throw a rug over the wires so I don't see it? :)

But I think you mean that rug pieces are stapled down to guide the wires.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:21:28 -0700, John Larkin wrote: ...

NIMBYs.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria