Is this the utter lunacy it appears to be? Discuss... :)

Don't ask me how I bumped into those while Googling for a few bits of info on audio op-amps, I just wish I hadn't, and want to spread the pain. >:)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Don't forget to connect two resistors in antiparallel before burning = them in. Because of... uhh.. something?!

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

info on=20

Reply to
Tim Williams

  1. The AP THD meter has a floor of ~0.0008% THD for direct measurement. Hence all measurements in vicinity of 0.001% are going to be vastly inaccurate; unless with a special test setup using passive filters.
  2. The state of the art is ~0.00005% THD in the audible band. They claim
0.001% which is really not any distinguished result.
  1. Practicality: I am fine with 0.1% THD. However if somebody is willing to pay money for 0.0001%, I will be glad to provide them the opportunity.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

[...]

Did you see the "CNC cuted PCB"? Now that's high-tech, ain't it?

BTW, I believe they still sell nuclear energy separators in Europe. Those probably ID every electron coming out of your wall outlet, run a background check and some DNA tests on it, and send it back if they find it had been lingering at a nuclear power station on its most recent trip :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Fascinating. The one and only direct quantitative specification that is compared between the (built-from-discretes) Burson amplifier module and the integrated circuit amplifiers it replaces, is the price.

'worth less than a can of Coca-Cola', the i.c. op amp is.

Other fascinating facts: IC opamps "suffer from EMI noise", and "are not designed with a focus on audio".

I always thought it was lenses that were designed with a focus... and the suffering of opamps hadn't previously come to my attention.

Reply to
whit3rd

Joerg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Yep, I did. :) I couldn't beleive my eyes though, so it didn't register. I'd hoped I could see an enlarged copy of that image they had that on, but I guess keeping it small spares their blushes.

Incidentally, I wonder what all that back-to-back PCB stuff does for their crosstalk figures.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Jamie

Jamie wrote in news:MPI_n.7632$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.iad:

When I saw the price of that, I understood how Vitalstatix felt when Getafix told him he thought it was 'rather pleasing' that the Romans came to their part of the Gaulish forest for a rest cure after tours of duty in Belgium.

Curious that Denon have sold out to that kind of marketing. I guess they found the opportunity less resistable than Vladimir Vassilevsky does. :) it IS tempting.. Never mind Age of Austerity, we'll know when times are really tough, because this kind of bullshit will quietly stop happening because people can't pay for it.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

wow, a $500 ethernet cable.

Denon just beat Black Box at their own game.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It's Patrick Turner in disguise, making a fast buck from the audiophools so he can fund his tube work ;-)

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Cydrome Leader wrote in news:i1fomn$64h$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com:

Won't be long before large numbers of people react to this because they're supposed to be able to trust the industry that sells them stuff, and firms get regulated out of business with their heads of staff doing major jail time for large scale fraud.

Once that happens (and I'm fairly sure it will now, this kind of abuse is getting out of hand, and in the food and pharmaceutical trades is already causing an official backlash), the electronics industry is going to have a hard time selling anything to a public who has come to beleive it is being exploited as badly as in these instances. A mugger just takes the money at knifepoint. They don't drug their victims, tie them up, f*ck them, and make them beleive they WANT it. There will come a time when people react to this so badly that it will change the industry, and only strong technical grounding will allow anyone to survive in it.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Ian Bell wrote in news:i1fp4i$6u7$ snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain:

I don't know who that is, but I notice they're in the same part of the world Ò^O Maybe they need a dose of Phil Allisons's methods of correction to stun them into a bit of technical rigour. He might be able to reach them better than most can. :)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

o on

I'm reminded of looking for good low dissipation caps. I heard that teflon were the best, but the only teflon caps I could find were used by audio types. There was one or two sites that said for best performance you had to condition the caps by feeding them Gaussian white noise for one month before using them!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

George Herold wrote in news:f992e68a-dd73-43af-a809- snipped-for-privacy@b35g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

Nice. For these things I think I need to wire my brain into some kind of hypersensitive bridge and a centred analog meter movement with a scale that has 'Laugh' written on one end, and 'Cry' on the other.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

You're right. How offensive that they're trying to pawn off cheap, semiconductor amplifiers as "high quality audio" when even brain-dead audiophiles* know that you can only get true quality audio from brown and tan striped base UG-210 tubes manufactured between December 1931 and February 1932 in Philadelphia.

Oh -- and they have to be dipped in LN2, and connected with 99.99% pure copper wires that have also been dipped in LN2.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

o on

I noticed that they "chose" to use lead-free solder. I don't suppose ROI regs. had anything to do with that.... naw....

Tom P. Albuquerque

Reply to
tlbs101

amusing.

teflon caps are still being made for real applications, but only where temperatire is an issue. Teflon isn't all that special as a dielectric otherwise.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Jamie wrote in news:MPI_n.7632$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.iad:

I was searching eBay for 'cryo', just thought that might be a fun way to spend a few minutes....

2nd item on the list was this: 270614203579 Sorry, not conveniently clickable but amusing enough to warrant the effort to visit it. I sent the seller a mssage thus: "Yum, snake oil! Don't you just love it?" I hope his trollfood tastes nice, I'm hungry. >:)
Reply to
Lostgallifreyan