OT: Google Analytics help needed

The so-called results show the next day and are: one page visited 4 times,3 unique and ZERO events. A bit of looking thru the various reports results that there were 2 visitors in the US (i know one was me but the results do not say so), and one visitor in Argentina. Then i tried something else the next day for 5 visits 14 pageviews: 3 SeaMonkey, 1 IE, 1 Curl (3 were dial-up which counts me), 4 in the US,1 in Australia. At least one title got captured (Index25.html) ...BUT... was NOT counted as an event (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I am getting pissed. It would be really neat to have javascript to do all of it oneself on the fly (ie: DURING) the user session, so that one could tailor the "user experience" according to (say) their server (ie: baker hughes) or their country (ie: russia).

Reply to
Robert Baer

All of which tends to imply that the code should WORK and 100%. After a few months of bad "results" and no _workable_ help from GA, i am wondering about other "users". Would be nice to get URLs of sites that have _working_ code.....

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have made changes in the onClick code and have NO event tracking code on purpose. I will see if the 14 names get trapped AND passed reliably first... Cross fingers, cross eyes, cross toes... If it does not work reliably, GET CROSS and tell GA GTH and stick it with all sharp corners in worst places. Naturally, it is impossible to tell them anything as they give no way for real communication.

Reply to
Robert Baer

NOPE! Will try something else.

Reply to
Robert Baer

What browser are you using? Some older browsers don't work well with Javascript.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

to no avail.

be

the

no longer

ata;

vs

ges

ot all.

hat info

ou

.

Bingo. Every transaction is there, but not in a friendly format. There are programs to read the log. Many providers leave the transaction log with just IP listings rather than the domain since that saves their computer from having to flog the domain name server. In a way that makes sense since Apache doesn't see the domain but rather the IP that is making the request.

My understanding of Google Analytics (and not from first hand experience) is that it can indicate what part of the page is being viewed. It is more sophisticated than just the weblog analysis, but it also slows down the page feed if you server is decent. Probably you would have to put on a privacy policy on the website if you let google spy on your readers.

Reply to
miso

avail.

I have modified my webpage onClick programming to have 2 or 3 variations of three schemes. Now absolutely NOTHING works - GA does not even see entry to the webpage. If anyone here has an idea as to how this garbage is supposed to work, please take a good look at my oil4less(dot)com site and post comments.

Reply to
Robert Baer

to no avail.

be

the

s no longer

.

o to

data;

r vs

ages

not all.

that info

You

go

in to

way.

off

ebpage.

ts.

Less is more. You should really meditate on if you need such scripting. There are people that like to run "no script." The other thing to bear in mind is the fastest growing market for browsing is mobile users. They are best served by server side "scripting", say PHP, rather than running scripting in the browser. At one time the theory was to have as much processing done at the host rather than server because the host had CPU power to burn. This is not true for mobile users.

Reply to
miso

avail.

longer

Google Analytics requires javascript code for each event one wishes to be logged. Well, that is the theory and their "promise" if you can call it that. I have every event (download PDFs and jump to another page) tagged with the exact (long-winded) code that someone in the GA "help"/users gave me. NO events ever show in the report, in fact only one (if that) onClick gets trapped for the report, and NONE of the info (category, action, etc) gets captured. In short, except for counting users the data is useless.

Reply to
Robert Baer

GA,

..

it

way

with

Certainly on Firefox it slows down loading. Now maybe I only see the slow download on sites where GA is not set up properly. You can see the GA request at the bottom of the browser.

I'm amazed everyone states it does so little. To hear GA described, you would think it is like some person watching you surf over your shoulder.

Reply to
miso

If the GA servers are slow, it slows the web page. I've had pages hang becasue the GA server wasn't availible. If the HTML reported in at the bottom of the web page instead of near the top it wouldn't matter.