OT: Google 1960s style

Chisolm
Republic of Texas
Reply to
Joe Chisolm

Reminds me of a visit to a data center in the early 80's, lots of tape machines and loads of disk drives ( the drives the size of washing machines with removable multiple platters) THey had the high speed DEC dot matrix printers, fast stuff for the time. Pretty noisey too.

Martin Riddle

Remember those daze well.. Sorted stacks of cards,making up to 5 passes.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:34:02 -0700, Robert Baer Gave us:

Did you operate the mock-up?

It actually works and punches your card for you and runs it.

Cool site! Thanks!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:34:02 -0700, Robert Baer Gave us:

Looking at that site, the machine plays tic tact toe and "Global Thernonuclear War", and refers to "the player" (you) as "Dr Falken".

Want to play a game?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Did you type in anything?

-- Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes. It was a fun trip down memory lane.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

I used Teletype and Kleinschmidt machines in the '70s, but on news wires. They were about that slow. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The keyboard below the card punch looks much more like some Teletype keyboard rather than a key punch keyboard, at least some important "function keys" missing.

Reply to
upsidedown

Don't know what sort of keypunch it is but the "discard" key indicates that it is a keypunch rather than a teletype.

Reply to
krw

"Discard", sounds more like the Rubout or Delete key (0x7F ASCII key) i.e full punch (0xFF) on ordinary (even parity) Teletype.

Reply to
upsidedown

It sounds like "throw the card away", to me. Ever play Gin?

Reply to
krw