OT. GM beats Tesla

By "nobody" you mean Tesla, right? That's exactly what they do. They give you 10 minutes and then you start paying $0.50 a minute after your charge is completed.

I was hooked up to a level 2 charger with a Tesla adapter and disconnected. The adapter stayed on the car and the cable was not locked to anything! Anyone could disconnect me. I don't think that can happen with the Tesla S uperchargers, but I'm not sure about the Tesla destination (level 2) charge rs.

There are any number of reports of people doing just that, disconnecting ch arging cars. Some people are just strange.

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

Yes, a number of "free" chargers I've seen have this as a deterrent to staying too long also, there's no charge for X hours and then the rate jumps to something like $3 or $5/hr.

But that's an automatic policy if someone is bound and determined to leave their car somewhere there's not much one can do about it. If they get billed a dumb rate for staying too long they have no one to be mad at but themselves, it's listed what it is.

I stayed a charger longer than someone appreciated one time, I was within the time limit but they just wanted to use it at that point so they simply parked next to me, pulled the charger out before my car was complete, and plugged it into their car, pretty ballsy, but that lot was well-covered by security cameras so they figure you're not going to do anything untoward out of spite to 'em and nobody is going to come arrest them just for yoinking a charger.

Reply to
bitrex

.

t.

r.

ve you 10 minutes and then you start paying $0.50 a minute after your charg e is completed.

ted. The adapter stayed on the car and the cable was not locked to anything ! Anyone could disconnect me. I don't think that can happen with the Tesla Superchargers, but I'm not sure about the Tesla destination (level 2) charg ers.

g charging cars. Some people are just strange.

That is going to happen when there is only one charger (or anything else) w ithin 30 miles of a rest stop. So, we need to have so kind of scheduling p olicy. I am suggesting multiple plugs (plugs are cheap), but limiting powe rs. For instance, first EV got 30 minutes at full power, but drop to half power after 30 minutes if there are others waiting in the queue.

Reply to
Ed Lee

.

t.

r.

give you 10 minutes and then you start paying $0.50 a minute after your cha rge is completed.

ted. The adapter stayed on the car and the cable was not locked to anythin g! Anyone could disconnect me. I don't think that can happen with the Tes la Superchargers, but I'm not sure about the Tesla destination (level 2) ch argers.

g charging cars. Some people are just strange.

I don't think any chargers other than Tesla know what car they are plugged into. So unplugging your car and plugging theirs in is theft.

I seem to recall CA passing a law requiring clear notification on the charg er of the rates which should include idle fees. Something in it would mean each "pump" would need an LCD display. Tesla would have a cow with that si nce there information is all through the car and the chargers have no displ ays.

--

  Rick C.

  +-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

ng.

t to

he

out

've

ts

ly

the

it.

is

's

ly

wer.

give you 10 minutes and then you start paying $0.50 a minute after your cha rge is completed.

ected. The adapter stayed on the car and the cable was not locked to anythi ng! Anyone could disconnect me. I don't think that can happen with the Tesl a Superchargers, but I'm not sure about the Tesla destination (level 2) cha rgers.

ing charging cars. Some people are just strange.

within 30 miles of a rest stop. So, we need to have so kind of scheduling policy. I am suggesting multiple plugs (plugs are cheap), but limiting po wers. For instance, first EV got 30 minutes at full power, but drop to hal f power after 30 minutes if there are others waiting in the queue.

Messy, complicated, subject to technical issues and will require custom des igned equipment. When you plug in how would the system know anyone else is waiting? What happens if you plug in and the power glitches looking like you unplugged. Now you are at the end of the line.

Standard equipment should be used pretty much everywhere. The commercial m arket will provide solutions as problems arise. You just can't expect them to address your particular solution any more than you can expect the gover nment to do so.

I waited a year plus for a charger to appear in Frederick, MD. Once it did my charging issues were over. I just wish other car companies addressed t he charging issue so directly. One flaw in the Tesla approach is that it i s proprietary. A Telsa does not charge at other level 3 chargers without a n expensive adapter. My car doesn't charge at all. I need to get that fix ed.

--

[...]

All paid charger would terminate the session if disconnected. If you unplu g and replug, you have to start your own session. It's not theft, just unc ivilized action. I did unplug someone's free session uncivilly. When he ca me back, I apologized and offer coupled of dollars for compensation of the free electricity. He didn't take the money.

Reply to
Ed Lee

hing.

olt to

s he

about

ey've

pots

ally

f the

se it.

d is

eps

it's

rely

power.

y give you 10 minutes and then you start paying $0.50 a minute after your c harge is completed.

nnected. The adapter stayed on the car and the cable was not locked to anyt hing! Anyone could disconnect me. I don't think that can happen with the Te sla Superchargers, but I'm not sure about the Tesla destination (level 2) c hargers.

cting charging cars. Some people are just strange.

ey

as

was

est

e) within 30 miles of a rest stop. So, we need to have so kind of schedulin g policy. I am suggesting multiple plugs (plugs are cheap), but limiting po wers. For instance, first EV got 30 minutes at full power, but drop to half power after 30 minutes if there are others waiting in the queue.

esigned equipment.

Nothing we engineer can't solve. I offer to build and pay for all the equi pment, as long as i don't get a dime out of it. Federal policy prohibit pe ople from profiting in these sites.

When someone connects another plug in the system.

gged. Now you are at the end of the line.

No, you just have to wait 30 minutes if some else is already there. Anyway , power glitches would likely affect all of them. If the system can't reme mber states before the glitch, then it's not too robust at all.

It would have to go through the procurement mess for commercial paid networ k. Which company (other than Biden's) should be allowed to benefit on gove rnment properties.

can't expect them to address your particular solution any more than you can expect the government to do so.

Yes, i don't expect any commercial solution at all.

d my charging issues were over. I just wish other car companies addressed t he charging issue so directly. One flaw in the Tesla approach is that it is proprietary. A Telsa does not charge at other level 3 chargers without an expensive adapter. My car doesn't charge at all. I need to get that fixed.

Other cars does not charge at all with Tesla charger. At least Tesla cars can charge with an adaptor. We can also include Tesla adaptor on site, if Tesla would provide it.

Reply to
Ed Lee

e:

ething.

Volt to

ots he

e about

s.

is

they've

spots

s a

really

of the

use it.

and is

reps

f it's

tirely

o power.

hey give you 10 minutes and then you start paying $0.50 a minute after your charge is completed.

connected. The adapter stayed on the car and the cable was not locked to an ything! Anyone could disconnect me. I don't think that can happen with the Tesla Superchargers, but I'm not sure about the Tesla destination (level 2) chargers.

necting charging cars. Some people are just strange.

ate

they

mad

so

was

t was

do

rrest

lse) within 30 miles of a rest stop. So, we need to have so kind of schedul ing policy. I am suggesting multiple plugs (plugs are cheap), but limiting powers. For instance, first EV got 30 minutes at full power, but drop to ha lf power after 30 minutes if there are others waiting in the queue.

designed equipment.

uipment, as long as i don't get a dime out of it. Federal policy prohibit people from profiting in these sites.

Great! My house is a rest stop. Please install a system.

lugged. Now you are at the end of the line.

ay, power glitches would likely affect all of them. If the system can't re member states before the glitch, then it's not too robust at all.

You aren't grasping the question.

ork. Which company (other than Biden's) should be allowed to benefit on go vernment properties.

Please don't be silly. The government has all sorts of such contracts. I went on a hike recently and the map program had a hard time finding the loc ation for the start because it was a concession and they had just changed t he name. All in a national park. This is not rocket science. Worse, it's GSA or GAO or someone with the government, but they have means for private ly operated activities on government property. It's called a "contract".

t can't expect them to address your particular solution any more than you c an expect the government to do so.

Exactly. You are showing your limits, not the limits of the government or the commercial market.

did my charging issues were over. I just wish other car companies addressed the charging issue so directly. One flaw in the Tesla approach is that it is proprietary. A Telsa does not charge at other level 3 chargers without a n expensive adapter. My car doesn't charge at all. I need to get that fixed .

s can charge with an adaptor. We can also include Tesla adaptor on site, i f Tesla would provide it.

What site??? Oh, you mean the one you are willing to build on your dime?

--

[...]

Oh, so worse, you left someone stranded when they expected to get a charge. I'd drive away then walk back and key your car.

--

  Rick C.

  +++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

ote:

omething.

he Volt to

spots he

one about

res.

ne is

z they've

se spots

t's a

y really

be

nt of the

ey use it.

emand is

ne reps

if it's

entirely

no power.

They give you 10 minutes and then you start paying $0.50 a minute after yo ur charge is completed.

isconnected. The adapter stayed on the car and the cable was not locked to anything! Anyone could disconnect me. I don't think that can happen with th e Tesla Superchargers, but I'm not sure about the Tesla destination (level

2) chargers.

onnecting charging cars. Some people are just strange.

nt to

rate

f they

e mad

t so

ar was

lot was

to do

arrest

else) within 30 miles of a rest stop. So, we need to have so kind of sched uling policy. I am suggesting multiple plugs (plugs are cheap), but limitin g powers. For instance, first EV got 30 minutes at full power, but drop to half power after 30 minutes if there are others waiting in the queue.

om designed equipment.

quipment, as long as i don't get a dime out of it. Federal policy prohibit people from profiting in these sites.

Yes, if you house is on my route and nothing else exist within 30 miles. I 'll build it.

nplugged. Now you are at the end of the line.

way, power glitches would likely affect all of them. If the system can't re member states before the glitch, then it's not too robust at all.

twork. Which company (other than Biden's) should be allowed to benefit on g overnment properties.

went on a hike recently and the map program had a hard time finding the loc ation for the start because it was a concession and they had just changed t he name. All in a national park. This is not rocket science. Worse, it's GS A or GAO or someone with the government, but they have means for privately operated activities on government property. It's called a "contract".

ust can't expect them to address your particular solution any more than you can expect the government to do so.

the commercial market.

It's not impossible, but very time consuming.

t did my charging issues were over. I just wish other car companies address ed the charging issue so directly. One flaw in the Tesla approach is that i t is proprietary. A Telsa does not charge at other level 3 chargers without an expensive adapter. My car doesn't charge at all. I need to get that fix ed.

rs can charge with an adaptor. We can also include Tesla adaptor on site, i f Tesla would provide it.

Yes, there is one site on top of LA mountain that i would be willing to bui ld at my cost. Because of change in altitude from 2000' to 5000', i can drive in LA, but not out of LA.

Reply to
Ed Lee

e:

ething.

Volt to

ots he

e about

s.

is

they've

spots

s a

really

of the

use it.

and is

reps

f it's

tirely

o power.

[...]

Fortunately, he is not a jerk like you. He was quite polite and OK with th e situation.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Wouldn't be easier if Newsome would just go ahead and ban plebes' cars and electricity completely? We all know the hordes can't be trusted with 'em.

A flat ban would save a lot of time and needless confusion.

Besides you're not allowed out of your house anyhow, so who needs 'em?

:)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Certainly. If California bans fossil fuels, it will Save the Planet.

And reduce the cost of gas in Texas.

I wonder if the moving companies will have to use electric trucks to ship everybody's households to Nevada. Teslas have a hard time making it up the Sierra slope in the winter; the big diesel rigs can barely crawl up in the right lane.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

I've never noticed an EV charger so I looked here: It looks like someone with an EV would do ok traveling I-80 in Nebraska with the truckers and dopers. Traveling along the northern or southern borders might be a problem. Someone living in the southwest corner of the state would probably have to have their own charger unless he could plug into a regular 110 or 220 volt source. It's like we live in different worlds as far as the charging stations go. Trains haul coal or grain here except for Amtrak. It looks like Amtrak follows the old Highway 6 at first glance. I think it runs through here 3 times a week.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

les

tore

nd electricity completely? We all know the hordes can't be trusted with 'em .

Actually you have that backwards. The Teslas zoom up steep slopes as they have so much more power. The benefits are plenty, but not for Larkin who s eems insistent on sticking his head up his ass about it. He won't learn th e facts. He loves to exaggerate anything negative. He refuses to accept a nything positive. I guess he is just afraid of electricity.

Strange.

Danger! 10,000,000 OHMS!!!

I hope that doesn't scare him too much.

--

  Rick C.

  ---- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

In the Sierras, I80 is pretty much the old Lincoln Highway, which in turn paralleled the path of the Central Pacific railroad.

This is a great book:

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

however not actually that complicated to implement, the charger can tell the car how much current to draw

there would have to be multiple charging stations.

It wouldn't look like that, there's conductors in the cable to detect presence etc. maybe it needs some sort of battery backup for the microcontroller.

there's already chargers tha can share current between multiple cars

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

was

was

do

rest

I'm not talking about the electronics. I'm talking about the stupid idea t hat someone should be cut off or even back before their car is charged. Th e limiting resource is the charging spots. Slowing the charge on a car is just making the spot occupied longer and accomplishes nothing.

Ed has some very strange ideas about EVs. I believe he drives some old Lea f with a worn out battery pack and has to stop every 40 or 50 miles to char ge. Half the time he can't even find a charger.

Even though my power drill and my cell phone all take the same amount of ti me to charge as my 100 kWh model X, he seems to think the model X should ta ke 100 times longer to charge because the battery is 100 times larger. He doesn't even understand that no lithium cells get charged much faster than an hour at max rate. The larger the cell, the more current they can be cha rged at. The universal constant for lithium batteries is the max safe char ging rate tops it off in about an hour. Nothing you can do with rationing chargers will improve on that.

Each of which can charge at the max rate. So why cut the charge rate to an yone? The idea is to charge as fast as the car will take it to open up the slot as soon as possible!

I've had it happen. At Tesla Superchargers one charger is shared by two ca rs, A and B labels on the stalls. First car in gets as much as the car wil l draw. As your car charging rate slows a second car on the same charger g ets what is left and it increases. My car stopped charging for a moment an d when it resumed it was charging a lot slower.

Shit happens!

al

Duh! But they don't cut anyone back intentionally. That's just stupid and keeps the charger occupied longer.

Ed is a poor thinker. Don't fall into the same illogic.

--

  Rick C.

  -+++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rickster C

Just multiple plugs, if arrange properly. Well, if you have to call them multiple stations, that's fine.

But they don't set priority and timing. They don't discourage charging overtime.

Reply to
Ed Lee

so

r was

ot was

o do

arrest

that someone should be cut off or even back before their car is charged. Th e limiting resource is the charging spots. Slowing the charge on a car is j ust making the spot occupied longer and accomplishes nothing.

Because there are so many jerks like you who don't care about people waitin g for hours just because you need to top off you battery.

Reply to
Ed Lee