OT. Headzup. Smoke Detectors

Just a reminder. We've had two house fires in Nebraska that have killed people. The smoke detectors weren't working in the first one. No word about them in the second fire.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

In CA, smoke detectors are required to have 10-year batteries and CO detection too. Is that universal now?

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

first

No idea. One of mine is house powered with a backup battery. The other is battery powered. I think both have a warning beep if the battery is low. Detectors are so easy to overlook if they don't have the warning beep. I had to check the article again. It said the batteries were disconnected. I wonder if the detectors were giving out the warning beeps for low battery and it was easier just to unhook them temporarily. There's nothing more permanent than temporary. Somebody was going to fix them someday. There's that old Credence Clearwater Revival song, Someday Never Comes.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

No, it is not universal. Here in Norway (which is in the universe) there is no such requirement.

The 10-year battery requirement is a typical political "solution". In ten years, the problem will be right back: People will be annoyed by the warning beep, remove the battery and forget about it.

One of my newest detectors has a nice feature: It is not possible to attach the detector to its bracket unless there is a battery in it.

--
RoRo
Reply to

The batteries are not removable. That makes sense, since the CO detectors typically don't last 10 years.

This is from Consumer Reports. They don't have much faith in combination detectors. From article written in June 2018: "You can find standalone smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, as well as combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in smart and non-internet-connected forms. All three detector types offer standalone and interconnected varieties. Consumer Reports has yet to test a combination detector that is effective at detecting carbon monoxide, smoldering fires, and flaming fires, which is why we recommend consumers use a combination of detectors in their homes for complete protection."

Reply to
Dean Hoffman