OT: Ebay Shill Bidding

You cannot know, idiot, because you would never "see" ANY of the bids that were culled out at the close of the auction.

How can you be even more stupid than the Sylvia ditz? Oh... that's right... you are "whine boy". How pathetic.

Reply to
Bart!

Jeez, you do not know how auctioning works either.

This group is full of complete and utter retards.

Reply to
Bart!

If you like hamburgers, don't eat at McDonalds. They serve something, but it's not a hamburger, or at least not a good one. Same with the other fast food joints - they are all too thin to be a decent burger, and need to be overcooked to compensate for the process that got them there, or they'll kill you (and then the lettuce will get you after they've killed off the coliform on the meat).

Two thin pattys do not a thick one make - ain't no such thing as medium-rare there.

Ecnerwal

Then NONE of your not-so-knowledgeable toutings are worth a shit, dumbfuck.

Reply to
Bart!

The problem isn't between snipers. That's a "level playing field" (in a sense).

The problem is between snipers and "other (non-sniping) bidders".

Snipers know the risks they take -- they are exploiting this aspect of the auction process.

But, non-snipers feel screwed because they've watched an auction for a week and in the last few *seconds* it changes dramatically. "Unfairly", in their minds.

eBay's "problem" (IMO), is figuring out how to thwart the effects of sniping or risk losing other bidders.

E.g., let eBay implement *all* bidding via "sniping"... the auction is announced, sits "idle" for N days and then, in the last 10 seconds, *all* of the bids are processed.

If folks simply used the existing bidding mechanism in this manner (placing *one* bid), then it would behave this way.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Ha! Good point! :>

I used to buy whole beef fillets (have the butcher cut them into steaks) and have the "tail ends" ground up as "ground beef" (what an understatement!). Made good burgers but don't hold together well (due to lack of fat) and don't have the characteristic *meat* taste of typical beef (again, because of the lack of fat).

Shifts the emphasis to what you adorn the burger with instead of the meat itself.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

An Ebay auction is not like a real (by which I assume you mean a conventional live) auction. There are fundamental differences. If your bidding strategy at an Ebay auction is the same as the one you use at a live auction, then you're making a mistake.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

We all know how auctioneers want it to work, and Ebay and its sellers would no doubt like us to given caught up in the 'excitement' and end up bidding more than we intended.

But playing that game as a bidder is foolish.

Don't know about full, but there appears to be at least one.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

The contrary seems to be the case - it means he's an unbiased observer able to take a dispassionate view of proceedings.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

What makes you think that the system works that way. It would be an absurd implementation, and it could mean that people who entered higher maximum bids earlier wouldn't win. They would certainly complain about that.

More likely the processing of each bid, and its effect on the price, is atomic, and there is no seperate program entering proxy bids.

Sylvia

Reply to
Sylvia Else

,

Time will tell. I just placed another bid on the same item for $62.50 and I imagine I will lose another auction for $62.60. It's still listed to "buy it now" for $125 in a different listing. I can't imagine the seller giving it away for half that.

On the brighter side, Ebay has refunded my money for another transaction where the seller did not respond to messages, nor delivered the item. I got my money back today. Score 1 for Ebay!!

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Bison burger meat is really good. So are the steaks.

Leaner than all three of the others (Chicken,Pork,Beef).

Easy to over cook, so must be careful and lean toward more rare finishes.

The burgers are easy though. They virtually stay the same size you make them. I make about a 5 inch job (patty) and it only shrinks to just over 4.

Can't do that with ground beef.

Reply to
Sum Ting Wong

You are still missing the point.

My 'auction IQ' dwarfs yours. *THAT* is the point.

Reply to
Bart!

Before there even was auto-bidding, the last bid won. Period. Get it through your thick skull.

In order to ADD auto-bidding as an afterthought, which is what they did in the beginning, they did not dismantle the current bidding chronological closure (bid ending) system that was in place at the time.

THEN the re-wrote the entire engine and now auto-bidding is fully integrated into their system and has been for many years.

You had to be around then to get it. Sorry about you.

Reply to
Bart!

They would not know.

One must "get their bid in IN TIME."

Do you get it now?

Reply to
Bart!

Something 'atomic' should go off near you.

Go chew on a few smoke detectors.

Sheesh.

Reply to
Bart!

Is a week earlier "in time"?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Where are you located, Bill? I come across these sorts of things pretty often (I assume you are just looking for an inverter? Or, do you want an entire UPS?) and can probably send one to you for the cost of shipping...

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

That makes auctions into "sealed bid" ones. It appears to me that the seller does well in a "sniper contest" by selling for "probably"

96-100% (more likely 98-100%) of top bid, even when the auction's final seconds have the game changing from an "open bid auction" to a "sealed bid auction", with the lowest of the sealed bids by snipers likely exceeding highest open bid when there are 20 seonds to go...

Don Klipstein

In the time between my last bid and the chronological close of the auction, ditz.

That is your problem. You are a chronological dumbshit.

Reply to
Bart!