eBay Currencies

I buy things on eBay and am looking for a minimum cost USB microSD card reader. Everything I find at the low end of the price range is in Canadian currency. In the search listing it shows as US Dollars, but the item pages all show Canadian currency with the approximate equivalent in US Dollars.

I guess eBay thinks they are doing me a favor, but in reality not so much. If I buy one of these items, I get whacked with a currency conversion fee by my credit card company. So I'd prefer to just not see listings in Canadian, but I can't seem to find a way to prevent these hundreds of unwanted items from showing up in the search results. eBay used to have a currency selection in the search criteria, but I can't find it anymore. Googling just gives me out of date info including eBay help pages.

Anyone familiar with how to screen out foreign currency items from a eBay search?

--

Rick
Reply to

How about Amazon?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Or would this work?

I have several microSD to SD adapters already (usually when I buy a microSD card on sale from Costco it includes an SD adapter), so I just use one of those then pop the whole shebang into this.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Yeah, how about Amazon!

--

Rick
Reply to

Thanks for the link, but I'm not as much trying to buy an SD card adapter (actually microSD) as I am trying to figure out how to exclude Canadian listings. This isn't the first time I've had this problem.

In this case it is much worse than others. It seems $0.99 is a magic minimum price. So listings in US dollars start around that price, but listings in Canadian dollars do also, but $0.99 in Canadian dollars is about $0.74 US. lol So they show up in the hundreds at least before I get to any in US dollars.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 14:21:16 -0400 rickman wrote in Message id: :

Isn't there a check box for US Only on the left side of your screen? When I do a search for "USB microSD card reader" and check the US only box I get:

JW

I think it is the seller that decided to list in Canadian dollars.

If I buy one of these items, I get whacked with a currency

Hmmm, I have bought several items that were listed Canadian dollars and there was no currency conversion fee. Have you ever actually bought something and gotten charged a conversion fee?

So I'd prefer to just not see

No real help from me, but suggest you try looking on AlliExpress. The identical items are often much lower there. But check both places. Sometimes Ebay is cheaper.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Wow! As low as about $.54 ea with free shipping on AlliExpress! That scares me away. If it sounds to good to be true...

Reply to
John S

That check box is not for currency, it is for location of the seller. You exclude everyone from outside the US using that option and roughly double your prices that way.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Irrelevant. Ebay is generating the search results which is what I'm talking about.

Yes, that's why I'm complaining. Ebay doesn't convert the money. I am billed in Canadian dollars and my credit card hits me with a fee. They also pick the conversion rate they want.

Lol, so why did you reply?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Change credit card companies? The Discover card here (in 3rd place) has no foreign transaction fees. Might want to ask them if there's a currency conversion fee.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I replied because I have bought a number of things listed in Canadian dollors and never had to pay any conversion fee. When I paid for the items , the US dollar amount was shown before I committed to pay. So I paid in USD.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I'm not sure I understand. You are looking at an item that is listed in Canadian Dollars and when you get to the payment screen this has changed to US Dollars? I've never seen that. If it is listed in a given currency, you are expected to pay in that currency. I tried looking for info on this and every link I found, including eBay pages, say you pay in the currency the item is listed in. It is my credit card that charges a small fee for the conversion.

I may try using a different card or at least calling them to see. American Express is the card that charges a fee for this. Still, there used to be a way to say what currency you wanted to pay in and the search would only return items that were listed in that currency.

I find it especially odd that I will find an item listed as low as $0.99, but in either US *or* Canadian dollars. Nothing under $0.99 listed in US dollars while the Canadian priced version is $0.79 in USD. So the floor price for some items is not governed by the cost of the item, but by the marketing impact of the "just under a dollar" figure.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Look at eBay item number:

151749069713 In is listed as C.99 and says approxxment US $.78 I do not want this but it is similar in looks to things I have bought. So when I buy it the price is quoted in US dollars. $.78 in this case..

Now maybe it is because the seller is in China and the currency has to be converted to Yuan in every case.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Why would anyone care about a couple % on $1 anyway?

There are times (I remember it happening with Japan many years ago) when currencies that are not fully convertible may have cross exchange rates that are not equivalent.

For example, the Japanese would sell a tech product for less in Canadian dollars than in US dollars, so a US customer could buy CAD and then buy JPY with the CAD and save money even with two exchanges.

Not sure why they didn't want USD, maybe they wanted to game their trade surplus calculations or something else. I also recall some shenanigans with the Japanese buying job lots of gold in USD to make it look like they were actually importing stuff from the US.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That is a search result, what I am *complaining* about. When you go to the item page it is listed at C $0.99. If I buy this I will be billed in Canadian dollars, not US dollars. So I don't want to see the item listed at all... any more than I would want to see items listed in Chinese Yuan. They aren't helping me by showing in the search results the approximate price I would pay if I bought it.

I have written to Chinese sellers and they say it has to be Canadian currency, they don't control it (other than selecting the currency of the listing), eBay does. It has to be converted to Canadian dollars in every case. Conversion to the seller's currency is up to the seller to deal with.

I don't get why you are going on with this. Are you saying you have bought items listed in a foreign currency and paid US dollars without the credit card company doing the conversion for you? Or have you just not noticed because you don't get charged a fee? Even then your credit card company should point out the conversion and tell you the exchange rate.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Who said anything about a percentage? It has been a while, but I seem to remember a fixed fee plus a percentage. All my purchases are not for under $1 anyway. I was surprised when it showed up on a charge of about $10. In the end I had to cancel the purchase when the item never showed up. What a mess that was.

The real issue is I want to know how to keep eBay from showing me search listings in US dollars when the item is listed in foreign currency.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I am not sure why I am going on with this either. You do not seem to under stand what I am saying. I am saying that I have bought numerous items lis ted in Canadian dollars that show the US dollar equivalent. And paid in US dollars the amount shown as the US dollar equivalent.

In other words it worked just as if the item was listed in US dollars. In the case of the item I picked as an example, it would work as if the item w as listed for $.78 in US currency.

No fee to the credit card company. No fee to Ebay, The price I paid was e xactly what was listed as the approximate US dollar price.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Does this Ebay search of (USB microSD card reader) show any Canadian dollar denominated products? I don't see any, so I don't know what is happening for you.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Currency conversion rates very often favour the agency doing the conversion, without evidence of fee listings. They set their own rates, which are variable, depending on their own currency trading practice and bank rates.

Depending on the size of the transaction, this can make a difference.

RL

Reply to
legg