jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

at else

tors

in.

I got this back from Scott, one of the Administrators:

----- Robert,

Send me the name and email address and I will simply subscribe that person to the list. That is so much easier and faster than trying to remember how to do it well enough to explain it to someone else.

Regards, Scott

--

...later he sent another email:
Reply to

Might as well start with the Chinese legal system, it will be cheaper.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I like the Widmer. Both Blue Moon and Pyramid taste a little funny to me.

Zeitgeist has about 40 beers on tap.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

1) your process was obviously far more detailed than it needed to be. 2) Your boss didn't have the balls to fire the idiots on the spot. I would never use UL for this, but that's me. Actually, if it were up to me I wouldn't use them for anything. There are far better test labs around. ...sans attitude.
Reply to
krw

Not buy anything from them, or allow any imports from them until they comply.

Michael A. Terrell

No, there were too many variations of standard products. Each customer wanted modifications for their needs. Microdyne was an Engineer to order company, with base designs. You had to have the detailed documentation for each rev level. So much so that they people on the IF line had to take one of several stock boards and add the SMD capacitors for each of the 12 IF filters. One board had so many test procedures that I wrote a single new one. the front page told you what pages were relevant for each version, and which data sheet to use. That eliminated

12 pages of lined out tests on each board. Every board or module was tested individually, and had test data kept for 20 years, per the typical government contract. I also designed, built and modifed test fixtures to improve repeatablity, or to automate testing.

They were the only US company doing ISO auditing at the time. My boss had no say in the matter. The CEO & head of Quality were in charge of becoming certified.

It wasn't up to you. Likely, you would have been fired during the certification process for complaining. NASA and NOAA insisted on ISO

9001 certification, or all contracts would be terminated.

How do you fire them, and keep your ISO certification? How many US companies are doing ISO certification & auditing now?

Michael A. Terrell

E-mailed an administrator and it bounced saying i was not registered.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, i may be one step closer, the "

" resolved to "
". No time to chase it now.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Like i said, am one step closer but no time to continue and/or chase. Maybe in 12 hours..

Reply to
Robert Baer

:

nd what else

resistors

e or

again.

se.

is ok, Isupplied your email address to Scott, he said he'd register you directly, look for a 'receipt' in your inbox

Reply to
Robert Macy

All of that is an excuse. The fact is that ISO9000 is what you make it. No more - no less. If you make it into an unholy nightmare, you're stuck with the unholy nightmare.

Bullshit! They weren't even the first. We were the first major corporation with ISO9001 certification and UL wasn't *anywhere* to be seen. I don't think they were ever used, in any location.

Are you trying for the AlwaysWrong award? I was the first one in engineering audited in the first site. I passed with flying colors. Of course I designed the process. ...and followed it. That's all that's needed.

Simple. Hire someone else.

Dozens to hundreds. It's *NOT* magic.

Reply to
krw

How it was set up wasn't up to me. We did manage to stop them from making it impossble to update procedures. The hired ISO 'expert' claimed that it made a company look bad to change any in house documents. He thought we should scrap a design and start from scratch, rather than modify existing documents.

That wasn't what were were told, meeting after meeting. So, it's your word against the people I worked with.

They were from UL, no matter what YOU think. Whoopie on being the first. The ISO certifiaction didn't cahnge a damn thing on how we did things. All it added was additional costs, due to the audits.

I wouldn't want to bump you off the list, and you are so close to him.

Microdyne fired more than one engineer like you.

UL spent most of their time on the production and test floor, not in engineering. How do you audit preliminary documents? Until it's released to manufacturing, nothing is set in stone, other than following the document creation process and the handling of components & engineering samples.

How many, over a decade ago?

Michael A. Terrell

(snip)

I was part of an outfit that achieved ISO9000 accreditation. Apart from the death of a forest in the process, it is largely a marketing exercise only - something to add to the letterhead, website and packaging. While it does address administrative matters such as document control/revision, it does NOT guarantee a better product, let alone a quality one. All it requires is that you have a (closed-loop) review process.

You set your own target. You *may* decide that 90% of product passing final test is good enough, so as long as you achieve that figure you box them and ship them. Mind you, if you *exceed* that figure you need to take remedial action. Breaking some is the cheapest way.

Reply to
who where

It requires a lot more than that, but certainly it's largest function has been marketing. That's fair enough because it's original function was as a trade barrier. The dumb Europeons totally underestimated the ability of US corporations to generate paper.

Yep. Any damage is completely self inflicted.

Reply to
krw

else

This time got the same "not found" complaint and i ignored it. Not sure what i did but got to

then selected Groups tab and found PSES the IEEE Product Compliance Forum. Did some searching and found nothing for CE compliance. Joined, searched again, zilch. See no way to post onsite,no way to add a new thread.

  • Also see no way to log off..
Reply to
Robert Baer

You wallow with him so much that it's hard to tell you two apart anymore.

Michael A. Terrell

OTOH, maybe that's all you have left. I hope you're pain is better soon.

Reply to
krw

and

audit

harassing

every

they

had

up

Actually quite a few now, look up "Nationally Recognized Test Laboritories" program (NRTL).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

That actually sounds SO wrong. Spy the source and it is clear why.

Reply to
WoolyBully