OT: Does my product need CE Marking?

..and that certification needs its own conformity file, etc...

Reply to
Robert Baer

...only the IRS does that...

Reply to
Robert Baer

How could some european agency do that to an American company?

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I think you have to have the file in case anybody asks. As far as I know, you don't send the DofC to anybody in particular.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Do you have any clue at all how much Microsoft has paid in fines to certain European countries?

Do you think they would rather pay those fines or lose the millions upon millions in business they would not get for refusing?

You really are clueless. Fees get leveed.

Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.

Don't be a slime, and you might escape the time... barrel.

Nahhh... you will always be in-the-barrel.

Reply to
WoolyBully

Hi Robert,

No it does not, electronic components are excluded AIUI.

Exactly.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Who are "they"?

CE for general electronics is self-certified. You can (and usually do) pay an external lab to do testing to specific standards. But it is the manufacturer that tells the labs which standards to test to, signs the CE declaration of conformity and "affixes the CE mark".

--

John Devereux
Reply to

They could get the company's product banned from all EU member states. They could get a final judgement from a European court, and collect from company assets within the EU. They could file the appropriate papers with a US court to get the foreign judgement enforced.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

PITA. I registered. Did my errands. Tried to login and it was impossible,would not recover username or password. So i registered again, no complaints. Tried the ieeecommunities link again while logged in. Said could not access unless i was logged in. Well, after some fiddling i got: Page Not Accessible

The page requested either does not exist or you do not have permission to view it. Please check the page address provided and try again.

Suggested Pages

Page address:

***Go figure. So, how in the hell do i access this mythical info?
Reply to
Robert Baer

The

I think CE marking is not a joke, but enforcement could be better (in my opinion).

There are many product standards for example EN60950, safety for ITE (comparable to UL 60950), EN55022, emission for ITE, EN 60601 safety for medical equipment.

Harmonized standards for many products are listed in "Official Journals of the European Union". Just as an example,

shows a list of standards under the Low Voltage Directive.

--
Wim
PA3DJS

at else

tors

in.

may take longer than 24 hours, don't know. do remember I received an email with the normal 'click to confirm' and change password process. Did you email either Administrator?

the following was tacked onto the ending of an email from the group, dated Jan 2012, describing NRTL program, thus I saved the posting again two blanks before and after @

=3D =3D =3D This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to

can be used for graphics (in well-used formats), large files, etc.

Website:

Instructions:
List rules:

For help, send mail to the list administrators: Scott Douglas Mike Cantwell

For policy questions, send mail to: Jim Bacher: David Heald:

=3D =3D =3D There are some 1000 professionals in this group, and many/several are part of the processes to create the standards that we must follow. It's a real 'insiders' view.

for me trying to go to:

did redirect me to

and requests either to LOGIN, or REGISTER You need to register, then you can sign up and search the archives

can't say the same for Yahoo, and lesser degree usenet.

In parallel with your effort to do that, I will send an email to one of the Administrators to ask for step-by-step instructions.

Being dyslexic, and not learning to read until over 7, I sympathize with the daunting task of READING, FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS, and JUMPING THROUGH HOOPS! since I have trouble reading, the instructions don't 'register', and I find hoop-jumping offensive.

But believe me it's worth signing up for this group. If you're considering selling into a country, any country, usually someone residing in the country helps you. You want to know what AC mains to expect where - you get a long list, etc etc. Plus, informal information,reality statements.

And comments on this group actually shape those standards, from memory one standard was held in abeyance for over 1 1/2 yr in order to rewrite it properly, - several of its authors were members of this group, and listened.

Regards,

Reply to
Robert Macy

Do they have the legal authority to do that, actually enforce penalties? I wonder if it's ever been done.

Could the US sue a European company in Europe, and collect damages, for shipping something to a US customer that wasn't UL, or had unpasturized cheese, or something?

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

What? Please don't tell me that WooleyPulley is wrong again!

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Probably, but they'd have a problem turning around. Plus in my case they'd also have to get up the American River and that's where they'd get seriously stuck. The good part is they'd find Hefeweizen on tap out here if it's the German Navy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The

...and I know you're wrong. It is a joke. There is no enforcement at all.

I wasn't arguing that there weren't standards, rather that the paragraph, as written, made no sense.

Reply to
krw

Sounds like a good way to start a trade war.

Michael A. Terrell

Yes, every 90 days, like a plague of locusts. The would show up and tear apart the files on what had been shipped since the previous audit to look for typos and missing punctuation. After the finished harassing the file clerks, they hit the production floor to harass the workers, to see if they could get them to make a mistake that they could fine the company for. On top of that, UL sent a different team of idiots, every time. That caused a lot of delays in manufacturing and test, till they finally left the plant. I was never chosen for an audit, but then I had told my bosses that if one of the auditors interrupted my work I was going to hand them the test procedure and tell them to explain it to me. I felt that if they could audit my work, they had to know more about it than I did.

Michael A. Terrell

They might have already kicked off one of those with their stupid CO2 taxes on airliners.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hardly. What would you suggest doing if a European company was putting invalid UL markings on their products?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sure, it's been done. The legal requirements are not that severe- the laws have to be similar and the judgement fair and final.

Assuming there was some merit to the suit under the local laws, why not? It's done all the time, even done successfully in China these days (provided it's all done in accordance with Chinese laws, of course). Of course you shouldn't expect awards to be of the same magnitude as that which the stereotypical (and much-maligned) Texas jury might think was fair.

I think that we're talking about misuse of a copyrighted symbol and fraud, and the laws should be pretty similar on that sort of thing.

Of course in the case of the UL or pasteurization- if the product was not claimed to be either then there would not be recourse if it met with the laws in the country of origin. There might be a contract law dispute if there was some kind of guarantee that the product conformed with US laws, but most exporters would not want to stick their necks out that far. There are plenty of cases of importers getting product refused or extra costs added (for example, for fumigation due to use of the wrong type of wood pallets) because of seemingly arbitrary actions of the government of the country the product is being imported into.