OT: Does anyone have Milliken Legato carpet tiles?

Not the good stuff. I had this in my office in Germany. Lasted a decade, still looked good.

Man, I wish I could get those here. There is a huge market opportunity and companies seem to blow it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

A lot of places sell it, but they specialize in floor coverings. With the downturn in new construction, builders installing 'free' carpet are likely a thing of the past.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Definitely not out here, been through the whole phone book. On my way to one place right now but doubtful that thay have anything with a cushioned back. Probably just the usual "sack cloth" stuff.

Office carpeting seems to be a nightmare in California. Can't get tiles and the installers refuse to lay regular carpet without a complete tear-down and clean-out of the place. That would take days. And then, as has recently happened to a biz friend, they don't show up on the scheduled day. The carpet "had not come in yet".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well the carpet I removed has been good for about 12 years, so it did last a decade :-)

Perhaps you could buy them overseas? It should worry you that the tiles come in metric sizes according to the link you posted earlier on (19.7" is exactly 50cm). So I guess they aren't made in the US.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

If the foam backing broke down from rolling chairs it didn't last ;-)

Actually no, they are made in the US but the manufacturers are pretty much all going to the 50cm tile size. Which has two disadvantages: Rooms aren't sized for that so you have more wasted snippets, plus the price per sqft has gone up.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Actually there isn't much waste on carpet tiles. At most you'll lose

49.9999% of a tile along 2 sides of the room. If you use wall-to-wall carpet, the cutting losses are much higher if you are unlucky. Or are rooms in the US build according to carpet sizes? That would be something they could introduce over here...
                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Besides, it is made in a "furrin" country where they only speak metric.

Reply to
JosephKK

My last house was obviously designed around standard carpet rolls (it is a major construction cost). Almost every room had a 12' (11'9"ish) wall. Most of the waste was in alcoves and closets.

Reply to
krw

The ones I am looking at are made in South Carolina and the lady at tech support sure had the nice twang that goes with that. She said that this company as well as most others have gone to "tha maee .. d'r", meaning meter or metric.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, same with porcelain tile. They are usually 12" center. And Nico,

49% of a carpet tile equates to tossing around $5 a pop. Times the number of wall tiles.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Tiles aren't close enough to 12" to bother thinking about them as a "standard size". Try measuring a few boxes of tile some day. They have size as well as color codes on them for a reason. ;-)

The fact is that you *will* toss 1/2 of a border tile on any installation. Tile, and I presume carpet, is supposed to be laid out with this as a goal. Anything much less than a 1/2 tile at the border looks like a mistake.

Reply to
krw

Not with porcelain tile. Most of them are not required to be laid in one common orientation. Carpet tiles are, usually. I laid >1000sqft of porcelain, two major batches, perfect fit in size (but not in color so you have to watch it which goes where). I wasted far less than 1/2 of the edge tiles. In fact, the pile of snippets from the whole job was really small, maybe a cubic foot or two. The trick is to keep all snippets until the very end and go through them every time you need a little corner piece. Won't work with carpet because the tiles on the other side will have to have opposite "polarity" and when the room is slightly above full size you lose.

On a room where 50cm carpet squares aren't fitting well you easily lose

40-45% of each edge tile. Meaning the grand total expense will be higher than it used to be with non-metric material. Beats me why they had to go metric.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'm contemplating a poured floor that includes the baseboards, so I can just hose it out ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Usenet posts via gmail, yahoo, hotmail, aioe, uar or googlegroups
are now automatically kill-filed using Agent v5.0

To be white-listed, send request via the E-mail icon on my website

The 49% is a worst case figure. And you'll lose that maximum for 2 walls of the room (you might consider installing thicker baseboards) . If you cut straight you can put the side you cut against a tile instead of the wall so the polarity is still correct. Still, $10 per tile is a lot of money! Over here prices at discounters are around 3 euro for quality tiles (heavy office use). If you can buy a leftover things get even cheaper.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

That has a very low WAF :-)

Anyhow, I'll order Legato Fuse today. Doesn't have the exact color my wife would like but it's rated commercial which is needed. However, now I'll have to measure and calculate by hand. Hint to anyone else who thinks about this: Do _not_ use their online space calculator for that because it has the old non-metric sizes programmed in. Web site maintenance doesn't seem to be that high on the pecking order these days.

Anyone have a hint regarding non-solvent concrete primer or sealer? Spec and tech support sez it ain't necessary but I just can't imagine such tile to stay in place on a floor that isn't primed. No matter how well you clean the concrete (mud bed) you can always wipe some more off by hand.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

For 50cm by 50cm tiles? Sure that wasn't when oil used to be $20/barrel? Actually I am down to about $9/tile now including tax. Price isn't so important, what's important is that this stuff holds up >10 years.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Rooms

At the old house I measured everything very accurately, drew a floor plan (to scale), overlaid the octagon-and-dot tile pattern over it, then slid it around until total cuts were minimized ;-)

Good question. I tend toward the squid approach... wash until you get tired of repeating it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Usenet posts via gmail, yahoo, hotmail, aioe, uar or googlegroups
are now automatically kill-filed using Agent v5.0

To be white-listed, send request via the E-mail icon on my website

Yep, time to break out ye olde vellum pad. In this case it's also to avoid really small tile orphans near the AC outlets because this tile isn't glued down. It has some kind of "Post-It" stickiness. Supposedly holds up very well.

I wouldn't mind that. But that'll take more time and I have to tile half a room, then move all the stuff over and tile the rest. Same with the office, to minimize downtime.

The nice thing about carpet tile is the (fairly) easy swapping of a soiled tile. I believe one can even wash these by hand. Our Rottweiler gets older and sometimes can't hold it ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Back in the dark ages, when I was getting my bachelors, I did a little house sitting on a repo'd mansion just south of town. The former owner (who just happened to have built my school... long story) had gone out of business due to poor designs and bad business practices, but he did have some 'interestin' ideas.

Both the kitchen and kid's bathrooms had brick floors, with strategic floor drains for cleaning. They also had embedded piping for hot water to heat them, too! The bank was hiring house sitters to watch thing, because the trailer trash nearby had just 'recarpeted' their trailers out of the house...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I'll have to dig thru my photo albums...

At the old house I had re-done a powder room into full bath for the teenage boys.

I put in a floor drain and tiled floor, walls AND ceiling... devised my own tool to hold a foot-square panel of tiles against the ceiling ;-)