OT: dial-up "response"

** OK; then the "chipset" is courtesy of ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS motherboard. Is that what you were looking for?
  • Before these *recent* problems, my modem has done compression so at times i saw up to 80Kby rates for extended periods of time - over a
45Kby line.
  • well, if i was rich enough, i could use a T-1 line... ...or "blue box" (aka two copper pair to anywhere you can afford at $$$ per quarter mile).
  • No restrictions on S registers.

BTW, a different ISP solved the problems. So, it seems localnet.com has problems on their end...

Reply to
Robert Baer

I had that with my ISP, smart.net, where I was getting baud rates as low as

2400.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

That would do. If you RTFM it will tell you what buffering parameters are available. You still haven't said what modem.

You should also check your ISP for announcements of improvements or new modems coming onstream. Support can sometimes provide useful answers (though not often I grant you). One of my clients ISPs "improved" their service on 1st April too and all Perl scripts suddenly stopped working.

That isn't very good at all. You should be able to get sustained rates on mostly text HTML webpages and newsheaders that are roughly twice the connect rate. I have some old notes from 2001 on 56k Flex vs V90 when they were still experimental and before broadband was on my exchange.

A rough rule of thumb for V90 was that a 50k connection will max out a

115k2 baud serial link on some HTML content. If you are stuck on dialup then reading the modem FAQs and following their advice is worthwhile. You would almost certainly be better off with a decent internal modem.

I doubt if there are many people here still using dialup (or for that matter basic rate ADSL).

ISDN isn't that much more expensive than dialup and you have two independent phone lines as a bonus - for small business use it is the least bad option if broadband is unavailable.

You are clueless. You may be able to set any S register without getting an error message, but the modem firmware will only allow changes that are permitted by the telco rules in your particular territory.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

I can't get (all of) a file that size- or larger - either. Yep, used to be able to. Dunno when/what things changed but I know my 'puter/OS/browser did not change. I first noticed the problem during Jan 2009. Over about two weeks I D/L many PDFs from two different sites, typiclly around 800kB and 1.4MB, but some >2MB also. The ones near 1MB were OK but the big ones were probably truncated. I noticed that the D/L speed up to warp speed near the end. Adobe reader and GhostScript said they were damaged beyound repair.

You have Worldnet dialup too? Knowing that someone else has noticed is a good sanity check.

--
Michael
Reply to