Tricks to force F-connector onto quad shield?

Hello,

Like usual the TV distribution amps in our house have those darn F-connectors. I hate them. Long story short, I ran out of the gold-plated "good stuff", can't get it in the local stores anymore, could only buy a nickel plated F-connector. Dimensions checked out to be the same as this example:

190mils center ID, slides over center nicely. 330mils ID for the ferrule, and for the life of me I can't get that over the quad shield with the shield strands brushed back. This was never a problem with the good stuff but since I used that all up I have no idea what their ferrule ID was.

Any tricks?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

When you prep the shield area, remove a layer or two at the fold point. Then when you fold it back it will have less overall volume to shove inside the fitting's crimp area.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

you don't used those with brushed back braids on quad shield.

cut the braids and sheath square and push them on, crimp with a 0.360" hex crimp tool

bye.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (Sat, 04 Apr 2009 17:24:29 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

I dunno, but you keep surpising me.... TV distribution amps???? 1960???? LOL Just get the digital mpeg on wireless or ethernet.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You have the wrong F connector. Quad shield F's are much bigger monsters

Martin Riddle

True. HDCP or HDMI distribution will likely not be around any time soon, so the old 4:3 NTSC crap is all but archaic now.

A networked, multimedia display terminal in every room? Sounds about right.

I have enough of a time getting a flic reduced for my PSP to make the morning bus rides go by quicker.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I did that, peeled off all the foil, leaving just the braid. Won't go in :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I tried that also, on a scrap piece. Can't get it in. Also, this carries the risk that it just pushes the shield back inside and doesn't make a good contact.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Not out here. We get the TV analog and digital over an antenna, starting this summer only DTV. Goes through the same amps, no problem.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Aha! Thanks. This link doesn't have any dimensions but yeah, probably they sold me the wrong stuff.