OT: Desktop icons vanishing. How to get rid of them?

Happens regularly on a Win2K machine: Coming out of hibernate of even standby about 80% of the desktop icons are replaced by the generic Windows logo. When I go into properties for each it's still there but I guess Windoze messes that up. Why doesn't that surprise me? When I reboot they come back but that takes too much time during the day. Icons are IMHO just decoration anyhow and superfluous. Can one get completely rid of them?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, by only using the CLI. I have a completely icon-free desktop; whenever I want to start a program I just pop open a console with a single keystroke and type in the command and argument (actually, just the first few letters of them and then TAB, which autocompletes the word.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

CLI = Command Line Interface? Ok, but I'd like to see on the desktop what's available. Hard to memorize umpteen programs and files on there. Why isn't there an option to just display the text under the piccies but no piccies?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Right click on the desktop in an empty area (if you can find one on my desktop!) to bring up a menu, hit the refresh option. That happens once and a while to my machines, but that fixes it without restarting.

Win 2K in my opinion is the last OS hat M$ made that is reasonably any good. XP is just a glorified version with a bunch of extra features that make it less stable. Vista is XP with a new interface and DRM. Aero glass and themes will run under XP, and it runs much faster, on older hardware without hogging all the resources that vista needs to keep it's DRM things going.

Reply to
Jeff L

Amen, brother.

Joerg wrote:

Here ya go:

*-*-bmp-*-that.consists.of.a.single.pixel+Hide.My.Computer

Reply to
JeffM

*-*-bmp-*-that.consists.of.a.single.pixel+Hide.My.Computer

Thanks but it doesn't seem to work for NT/2000 systems.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, it really did it. The question is, why does Windows suffer partial memory loss at random? Oh well, maybe that's just the "quality level" it comes with. What else does it occasionally forget?

No Vista here, absolutamente not. A wee problem will be that I'll soon need a cheap desktop to replace this one. And I don't want one with Vista. Might have to do the garage sale tour.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

On my old NT 4 pc, the "programs" folder on the start menu used to disappear regularly to be replaced by a single entry "eject pc".

It sounds like your machine is getting old and filled up - the only permanent solution is a re-install.

Reply to
David Brown

Yeah, maybe. But it costs so much time and lots of stuff doesn't work anymore after that.

The other problem I have is the incredible bloat Windows causes. The performance monitor in task manager says 137MB of RAM used when nothing (!) is running. Yet under processes it only shows 20MB worth of processes running. So one side of it lies to the other, what a "performance". Great. I guess that helper SW is not of a high quality either.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Personally, I find the icons useful most of the time.

But I must also say, the "real" fix is to just accept the fact that Windows Explorer has a lot of problems. Once you truly come to terms with that, the rest is easy.....!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

It sure does but it can't be the only problem. Most Windows such as 2000 hog gobs of RAM and that isn't reflected in the processes list of task manager. IMHO the last good OS from up there in Redmond was DOS.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Surf on "icon cache" for a variety of ways to bump up the cache size.

I've reduced my number of desktop icons down to 25, simply by collecting functions... for instance my "Engineering & Math Tools" icon has 22 "sub" icons, like Excel, KMAP and other logic reducers, various simulation auxiliary functions, etc...

...Jim Thompson

Eventually I will do that. Right now I only have stuff on there that's very frequently used, the rest gets called via the start -> programs method.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Didn't you know? The reason they called it "Windows 2000" was you needed 2000 Megabytes of RAM to run it.

Reply to
mpm

Joerg wrote in news:6GUHi.5923$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

I use a button bar called NVBAR(shareware),and delete most of the desktop icons;W98 SE system.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

ROFL!

It's sad. Why does taskbar show the usage on the graphs but not on the process list? Another one of Bill's shrouding tactics?

Anyhow, I would never, ever, run anything mission critical on a Windows platform. The newer the versions the less I trust them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote:

I like that one too.

I'm curious. When you save somthing in M$Works, in what format do you save it? Can you access those with any other program? Can you access them without Windoze?

Reply to
JeffM

Yes. Save it in "Works for Windows 2.0/Works for DOS" format. Or dBase if you want to. I can read it with DOS-Works 2.0. Don't know whether

1.05 would also work. That was the first copy I bought but haven't tried it yet because 2.0 is better and also DOS.

So, does anyone know why Win2k gulps >130MB all for itself?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

My 1st question would be: "How much useless junk are you running?" http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:bh0NCeGYrioJ:

JeffM

And they didn't even write that! They stole it from Digital Research. =:-O

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise