How to get rid of annoying "Wi-Fi is currently blocked by rfkill" message?

I have a fairly new Pi 4 which I'm setting up headless to use as a NAS. I have done 'touch .hushlogin' to get rid of most of the messages which appear at login but I still get:-

Wi-Fi is currently blocked by rfkill. Use raspi-config to set the country before use.

How do I get rid of this? I don't want WiFi enabled, I just want peace and quiet when I log in. :-)

--
Chris Green
Reply to

I don't know rfkill but my suggestion would be to not use that, instead put "dtoverlay=disable-wifi" in /boot/config.txt which actually disables the chip, so it also saves energy (except that bluetooth on the same chip would still be on, so disable that too: "dtoverlay=disable-bt"). I have never seen your login message.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Yes, that seems to have sorted it, thank you.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

I get

Wi-Fi is disabled because the country is not set. Use raspi-config to set the country before use.

upon login on my pi3

and I do have dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi dtoverlay=disable-wifi dtoverlay=disable-bt

in my /boot/config.txt

Do you also know how to get rid of the slightly different message?

Reply to
Björn Lundin

Just do what is requested: sudo raspi-config; and set country (se?).

--

-TV
Reply to

Den 2020-09-21 kl. 12:20, skrev Tauno Voipio:

Ah, I thought it would go away just by disabling the wifi. However I get this in raspi-config

No wireless interface found

and then

There was an error running option I4 Change Wi-fi Country

Hmm, I guess I have to enable the Wifi to disable the warning. Something for next weekend

Reply to
Björn Lundin

Add below that: country=SE

(or the abbreviation for your country if it isn't Sweden.) Then Ctrl-O to save, Ctrl-X to quit. Reboot to check.

Reply to
A. Dumas

My (working) config is this more /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

country=GB ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev update_config=1 network={ ssid="Kitchen" psk="not.telling" key_mgmt=WPA-PSK }

network={ ssid="LivingRoom" psk="still.not.telling" key_mgmt=WPA-PSK }

if it helps

--
?There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn?t true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.?

?Soren Kierkegaard
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But why do we have to set a country at all if we're going to disable the WiFi anyway?

--
Chris Green
Reply to

You may well ask, but sometimes for an easier life you have to humour the computer.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Den 2020-09-21 kl. 18:12, skrev A. Dumas:

ok, got an opportunity to do it it now, and yes - it worked

thanks

Reply to
Björn Lundin

Den 2020-09-21 kl. 18:34, skrev Chris Green:

Yes odd.

Reply to
Björn Lundin

Indeed

Reply to
Björn Lundin

Just remember two things:

  1. computers are just fast idiots - they do exacly, literally, as they are told.

  1. Programmers are not perfect.

Reply to
ray carter

Dana Mon, 21 Sep 2020 17:34:23 +0100, Chris Green napis'o: [snip]

Because somebody made a script that expects to find it. And reports an error if it does not find it. You could disable that script. But then you would have to remember that you've done that in case you would like to use wifi some time in the future.

Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic

That's probably the best answer! :-)

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Obviously never been married or run a business. Doesn't matter how wrong partners or employees are, you simply balance the downside of them behaving like idiots, until they learn better, with the downside of telling them that they are.

--
It?s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

When it comes to the wife, she is always right, but if she wasn't it would still be your fault.

---druck

Reply to
druck

That's why I have an ex-wife. It got past a joke, to a serious mental health condition.

..I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher