How do I get rid of this mess of resistors

That's a protoboard alright (oops -- wrong thread).

That's not too many resistors at all.

You want to get some 1/4 watt resistors, then bend and trim the leads so the resistors lay flat. Don't do flying terminations like that -- plug both ends of each resistor into the protoboard. You can move the chips apart to get more room if you need it. Do the same with your capacitors. You should also _always_ install bypass capacitors from power to ground, one cap per chip. Don't leave these out or your circuit will do strange things.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

For pull-down and pull-up resistors, you might look at single-in-line resistors arrays, which have one common pin (to be returned to 0V or

+3.3V or +5V or whatever), and anything from four to nine reisistors.

Farnell certainly stock a fair range of such parts. The pins are are in

2.54mm (0.1") centres, so they'd plug straight into your protoboard.

----------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

I need all these resistors. They are voltage dividers, pullup and pulldown resistors and some also are used for setting parameters like frequency (IIRC).

On the one hand, I need them.

On the other hand, they are an unholy mess, looking bad, forming loops, etc etc.

I pulled these resistors from a 1969 piece of equipment.

Ignoramus20247

Not sure what you're asking. It's not as though you're carrying power into and out of the comparator. Surface mount on a custom PCB would sure clean things up nicely. Or a few dimes' worth of 1/8 W carbon film stuffed neatly into the protoboard grid (as it was meant to be used) would go a long ways toward looking sane. I think Radio Shack still sells resistor assortments, a few each of several commonly used values.

Reply to
Mike Young

Farnell is in the UK. Try

You'll have more versatility with a kit of discrete resistors, as

You might score a resistor selection with little drawers and everything on ebay. I have an Ohmite "Little Devil" collection with thousands of resistors in it from 3.3 ohms to 22 megohms, got the lot for $10 at an auction. I restock it with lots of 20 of each value when often-used values get low. My next order to Digi-Key will include a kit of surfacemount resistors. Ya can't play with electronics without resistors!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks. I will try to get some assortment of tiny resistors and lay them flat. I really like flat lying connections, they are cleaner looking and probably invite less interference.

Ignoramus26744

Bill, do you have their item id or some such?

thanks

Ignoramus26744

Now pick a value !

Farnell's own search engine is quite good btw.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thanks Don. I bought some sensible kit from ebay.

Ignoramus26744

Replace them with SIP resistor arrays.

I have many thousands of these in stock.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

istor-Mess/

I see no mess???

BTW, go down to RadioShank and buy a 1/2W resistor assortment. Ya...1/4W resistors are too wimpy for anything over about 3V. I stick with 1/2W. Not to mention my interest in tube amps, but nevermind that...

Tim

Tim Williams

check your email

Ignoramus8862

Thanks... I bought some assortment on ebay...

Ignoramus4939