How to Polish Glass to Get Rid of Frosting

Our "students" AKA taggers like to use some kind of frosting pencil to graffiti up the mirrors. I'd like to find a way to polish the glass so that this frosting becomes shiny glass again. I've thought about rouge. But would something like a clear acrylic or similar make it shiny? Thanks.

Reply to
alondra101

If they really have scratched the glass then it's a lot of work to fix. You have to polish the whole surface down to the bottom of the deepest scratch and then repeat with finer and finer compound.

Perhaps their marks are some kind of paint? Try using a scalpel to scrape a section in a corner somewhere. If you can chip a littos of the frosting off then it's on the surface of the glass and not cut into it. In which case you need to find a suitable solvent for the stuff. You may have to try several different things. Paint stripper may work - it's unlikely to effect the good parts of the glass but make sure it doesn't drip onto other surfaces as it's nasty stuff.

Reply to
CWatters

These pens contain hydrofluoric acid: "Vandals are increasingly using acid etching pens to damage store windows. Often an auto glass repair shop can buff out the etching, but you'll be left with distortion. If you find that your glass has been etched, DO NOT TOUCH as the acid could burn you. Rinse the area with lots of water to stop the acid working. Then you will need to decide whether to replace the glass or have it buffed." that was from:

and this site about hydrofluoric acid exposure:

So if it's not too deep you could polish it out like polishing a telescope mirror with finer grades of rouge. Extreme exposure to hydrofluoric acid can actually cut grooves in the glass!

You could overcoat with polycarbonate but then they'd probably go back to emery paper.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

fix. You

scratch

No, I'm not talking about scrratches. They're nowhere near as visible as the frosting pens.

scrape a

No, it's some kind of etching pencil, so after awhile the glass becomes frosted.

frosting off

case you

several

the good

as it's

We have spray cans of graffiti remover, which is just such a stuff. It removes paint no problem. But this isn't paint.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

pencil to

glass

about

it

fix. You

scratch

_pages/graffiti.htm

Thanks for the good info. I figured rouge would do something, but I didn't think it would take that much work to buff it out. Maybe it would just be better to use more etching pencil and make cute Xmasy patterns all over the mirror, like holly leaves, etc. :0)

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Try posting this up...

or perhaps..

Quote:" None of the employees were told that contact on two percent of the body can be fatal"

Perhaps a few random bag searches wearing rubber gloves and breathing kit would do it?

Who sells this stuff to kids?

Reply to
CWatters

I'd chuck the mirrors in the trash and let them look at each other. What next acid tagging people for moving adverts? Maybe they can figure out a way to do it in color. Sorry... just fed up with bad behavior from everyone including so called adults. Then they raise my taxes to pay for this crap and send the mental morons to "behavior camp" UGH I give... glad my days here are numbered.

Reply to
Mr Fed UP