OT: Climate Change Bullshit

In the late 80's, the entire US (and therefore the world) economy was going to collapse because of the 'thrifts' (Savings and Loan Industry).

Something else that the 'expert peer group' had decreed to be a 'fact'.

Reply to
Andrew

Parts of the Thames were much wider and therefore flowed more slowly back then.

This might have made it easier to freeze over.

Reply to
Andrew

because we started to take NOx and SOx serious

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

One thing is certain, whereever it is found, the US assumes it is their oil.

Reply to
Andrew

Nope. We can only use the online version of the small claims court.

I don't think that would work with Dungeness power station (Kent).

Reply to
Andrew

Throwing dice is cheaper and more accurate than hiring economists.

There was The Population Bomb, the Club of Rome report, Peak Oil, promises that Manhattan would be under water by now, all that doomsday stuff.

Horror movies sell too. Some people will pay to be scared.

A little warming and a lot of CO2 are great for the planet. Another LIA, or worse a real ice age, would kill billions of people.

The last glacial period ended about 11K years ago. Interglacials, like the current warm period, last 10-20K years and are the exception.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Is that why we get it all free?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Right, thank you. (who are these interlopers?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

SF is pretty hilly, mostly ~10' above sea level? Sea level has been rising at ~1 foot/ 100 years (at least on the east coast) I found this,

It looks reasonable, But there's a lot of climate BS out there, OM-Goodness am I agreeing with C. Doom? I guess a little, only in that science is now politicized. I can't listen to climate scientists on the radio (npr) because of how strident they have to be.

Science is about asking questions, but to get funding you try to be certain.

My post doc adviser spent a lot of time at the NRL, he passed on this trick. When he took over as division head, he postponed his first report of what they were going to do the next six months. He then took what they did do, and made it most of his report. They were then six months ahead of time, and everyone was happy. (He meet his predictions almost perfectly.) Of course it takes productive people to make this work. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 3:48:28 AM UTC+11, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote :

you'd have known this. Because you are the kind of gullible idiot who feels hurt when his gullibility is exposed - like John Larkin - you kill-file ev erybody who injures your tender ego, rather than learning to get your facts straight.

ess what the person or source had to say.

You've snipped what I posted - as implied by the line "you'd have known thi s".

The personal criticism was preceded by

"In fact you ought to bet that the measurements are all over the place.

The thing about Mauna Loa measurements is that they were the culmination of a program to get reliable and reproducible data. Sticking professional qua lity infra-red absorption-based CO2 sensors way up a mountain in the middle of the Pacific may have been a slight over-kill, but it finally got data t hat could be relied on. "

It may be a bit much to expect Cursitor Doom to know about that kind of stu ff - although this isn't the first time I've pointed it out - but in a cont ext where he has dragged up the content of an 1847 chemistry text-book to s upport his pig-ignorant ideas about climate change, reference to some sligh tly more accessible historical data isn't out of place.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e:

, you'd have known this. Because you are the kind of gullible idiot who fee ls hurt when his gullibility is exposed - like John Larkin - you kill-file everybody who injures your tender ego, rather than learning to get your fac ts straight.

dress what the person or source had to say.

But in this particular case I had addressed what Cursitor Doom had had to s ay and Mark had snipped that part of the post, which is the sort of intelle ctual dishonesty which is a little too popular around here.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Actually, what he is saying is that the US legal system is uniquely biassed towards making lawyers rich.

There are lots of worse legal systems around in third world countries, but everywhere else has this prejudice against frivolous law suits, and rules the make them expensive.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

They were, and the power stations installed gas scrubbers in their exhaust stack to wash it out.

Because the problem got dealt with

It had been recognised in the 1920's, and effective de-sulphurisation was installed in some power stations in the 1930's, but WW2 was a distraction.

The problem became obvious again in the 1960s, and big coal-burning power plants did get equipped with effective scrubbers.

Which the acid rain had been killing off, along with the trees ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

(0.04)

rience

cent

Not actually true.

ming'

In fact climate change denial propaganda is nothing but lies, but Cursitor Doom is too dim to notice that he is being lead up the gardeen path

the

e of

John Larkin believes everything he reads on climate change denial sites - w hich give him his fix of flattery - and nothing that he reads elsewhere (be cause if he'd did he'd realise what an idiot he looks like).

A single end-the-world newspaper article isn't entirely comparable with an opinion accepted by 97% of the world's top 300 climate scientists.

If you let John Larkin hire the economists. The problem isn't so much that various economists have different views but rather that the people who hire economists hire the ones whose views are compatible with the people who hi re them getting richer.

In the 1980's, in the UK, Will Hutton was the Guardian's economic columnist .

The Treasury was full of monetarists who told Thatcher (and Reagan) what th ey wanted to hear. Their predictions were comically bad. Will Hutton knew K eynesian economists at Oxford and Cambridge, who could produce more reliabl e predictions, and a lot of his articles were about how the Treasury was ma king bad predictions and how Keynesians were making different ones. Six mon ths later he'd write a told-you-so article.

The human population is still rising, but agricultural productivity has - u nexpectedly - kept up. The Club of Rome Report was not taken seriously when it was first published - it was decidedly premature and hopelessly over-si mplified.

The kind of vestigial economic models that you could run on a 1970 computer didn't have great plausibility (not that their modern equivalents are all that much better).

Peak oil ignored fracking, which hadn't been invented back then.

Nobody has promised that Manhattan would be under water by now - I don't kn ow whether John Larkin just made that up, or confused some disaster movie w ith an actual prediction.

True. But most people can tell the difference between a horror movie and a scientific prediction.

Pure climate change denialist propaganda. Of course the planet might benefi t from a human population crash, so what might be good for the planet might not be all that good for us.

The little ice age was regional problem. It might create a lot of migration (of the kind that is going on at the moment, but in different directions).

A real ice age would be a serious problem, but anthropogenic global warming has made it very difficult for the planet to flip from the interglacial st ate to the ice age state. We do know how that works - even if John Larkin h asn't got the message.

is an interglacial that lasted 50k years and has a lot of features in commo n with the current integlacial (before we started burning fossil carbon at an extravagant rate).

But you have to build up a lot of snow cover across the northern parts of t he Northern hemisphere to get the planet out of an interglacial. Global war ming and an ice-free Arctic Ocean doesn't help this.

John Larkin is both ignorant and misinformed, and much too vain ever to adm it it - even to himself.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Al Gore, of course.

Reply to
krw

Not remotely plausible. Al Gore was a climate change groupie, from his undergraduate days at Harvard.

" In his senior year, he took a class with oceanographer and global warming theorist Roger Revelle, who sparked Gore's interest in global warming and other environmental issues."

puts the origin a lot earlier. Arrhenius probably got the ball rolling in 1896.

The history records the development of a scientific hypothesis rather than any kind of received dogma, but krw's brain - such as it is - is remarkably poorly equipped to recognise this kind of distinction.

We should be kind to the poor cripple, but he does make it difficult.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yup. Google Earth will show you the elevations. My house is a few miles from both the bay and the ocean and is +365 feet, kitchen floor.

We have one neighborhood around where Mo works, around 17th and Folsom, that is a local minimum, near sea level, and it floods sometimes. They have sandbags out now, ready for the winter storms. Ditto the end of Cayuga Street, just down the hill from us. But the problem with both isn't sea water, it's runoff from nearby, higher levels. That's what happened in Houston too. Pave over a few hundred square miles, apply rain, and the low spots fill up.

Doom! May as well drown youreslf now and avoid the horror.

Million line simulations of complex chaotic systems aren't science, and applying more CPU power won't make them better.

And in "climate science" people aren't allowed to ask questions. Uncertainty should get the funding.

lunatic fringe electronics

I already have decendants, and none have complained so far about existing. They can blame me personally for some nanokelvins of effect on global temperature

In the negative direction, actually. Possibly microkelvins. Maybe I've kicked off the next ice age. My bad.

lunatic fringe electronics

Your descendants may someday read this, and recognize you as a sophist (logic saboteur) by the nonsense above. Nonsense, because there's no apparent rational basis for the claims.

If your pet theory needs the protection of repeated falsehoods, science offers a solution: euthanize that pet.

Reply to
whit3rd

Better check what's going on in France. Regular riots and street fights involving 282e3 citizens, 2 deaths so far. Comparable to what was happening in Poland in the 80s, where the citizens were fighting with the communistic government (initially also due to the sudden jump of the prices). All that because of the new eco tax intended to combat the rising CO2 level.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski