OT: Climate Change Bullshit

[...]

Gardners's just a troll with a well-established pedigree for it on s.e.d., so you're wasting your time trying to reason with him.

Cursitor Doom

I thought you had kill-filed me so that you wouldn't be discombobulated. It seems you are still having difficulty coming to terms with 1980s technology.

Apart from that, how's your favourite trustworthy news source, Russia Today?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

RT is at least as believable as the Washington Post or the New York Times, and the writing is better.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

and tenure and grant funding. The difficulty we have is that these people cannot be described as unbiased.

--
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
(and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an

HL Mencken
Reply to
Tim Streater

en

ents.pdf

This particular half-life depends on the concentration of hydroxyl radicals n the upper atmosphere. They are consumed by converting methane to CO2, so more methane means fewer hydroxyl radicals, and the methane lasts longer.

A half life depends on the situation. Even radioactive half-lives can vary (but only for certain very specific situations).

Calculations based on observations. Every observation has to be interpreted .

Not liking the result isn't a valid reason for rejecting it.

r.

Clathrate deposits don't yet seem to be extractable.

If they did decide to extract themselves - as they seem to have some 55 mil lion years ago

life could get complicated.

easons

Pity that the natural philosopher is addicted to reasons that sound good.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Scientists test their assumptions, and correct their models when the underlying assumptions are falsified.

John Larkin imagines that any such correction is proof that the whole enterprise was fraudulent - because he hasn't got a clue how science works.

Of a changing environment.

Permafost isn't pure ice - it's got a lot more other junk in it than glacier ice.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

He means that he thinks that it could be done. It hasn't been done yet.

But probably not affordable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That happens in all the sciences, and in most other fields. People are enthusiastic about their theories. They want them to be true.

In electronic design, it's prudent to be skeptical, not blindly admiring, about everything we do. People tend to look away from threats to their ideas, which leads to blue wires and board spins.

It's heartbreaking to discover a fatal flaw in a beautiful circuit. But the sooner the better.

At least we don't wait 10, 25, or 100 years to find out if we were right.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's the problem in a nutshell: there IS no thermostat (no significant feedback mechanism that keeps temperatures constant). Sometimes, small changes that we humans can create... have large effects. Our behavior can become a thermostat, if we have the will.

Reply to
whit3rd

Putting a CO2 measurement station downwind of vast ocean expanse, at high altitude, is sensible. Al Gore is in the mainstream of thought on this issue, doesn't need explaining. The 'scary chart' theory is bunk, what's REALLY scary is observations of planetary climate and atmospheric composition. Expressed in a chart, it doesn't require much time to absorb the info (thus to avoid a repeat of the fiasco about taking a few years to read a birth certificate).

Reply to
whit3rd

But, is the reporting better? Or at least accurate? Penmanship isn't everything, you know.

Reply to
whit3rd

Huh, the negative feedback is black body radiation from the earth, T^4 as Martin said upstream. More and better data, then we can agree on how things are changing.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Obviously Martin doesn't understand.

Period.

The Natural Philosopher

In the region of interest eg: 270K to 280K (or whatever is is) it's looks very much like a straight line, it's not going to get hot enough to melt the crust, but it's not doing much to prevent localised positive feedback

Jasen Betts

Politics. Because its true?

Energy - fossil energy - is the single biggest market in the world

Who controls energy, controls the world.

Al Gore workled for Enrn when he made that film...Enron sold gas. Not coal,.

Who can get away with taxing energy, is the richest taxman in the world.

Money talks

The difference between Left and Right, Climate change believers and skeptics, Europhiles and Brexiteers is simply that the former all trust (self appointed) Authority and refer to it, and the latter all have enough direct life experience to realise that 99% of what you read or hear in the media is paid for material to advance hidden agendas pf power and money.

AS we grow up we realise that mummy and daddy werent right about everything, even though they had our interests at heart. Its a mistake to assume that Momma Merkel or Daddy Corbyn even have our interests at heart.

If you advance the proposition that the world of politics and Big Business is full of lying venal self serving psychopathic little s**ts, then in fact their actual behaviour makes much more sense.

Don't ask why they are lying to you.

Ask "why wouldn't they"?

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon

A classic case. Talking to a S African woman, who said she thought that 'world government would be a good idea - better than the corrupt ANC'

I simply asked 'who would you trust to run it?

The perpetual myth of Marxism is that true Marxists are incorruptible, and if made omnipotent would solve all the worlds problems.

Whereas all Marxist states have showed depths of corruption far beyond democracies.

--
There?s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Academics are public sector employees.

Thioer loyalty is to te guvmint.

If the guvmint is arrangeing bungs for renewable energy chums, it isnt likely to take kindly to someone saying 'actually not only is renewable energy not effective at reducing CO2 emissions, but they dont affect climate anyway'

The Left loves climate change. Climate change is an excuse for Big State control of the lifeblood of civilisation - energy. Leftism is a marvellous excuse to control the poulation in the interests of - these days - large multinationals.

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

? Confucius
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fatal flaws in designs do not happen if the correct science is done first, rather than soldering the shit up and testing it to see what happens.

The whoel POINT of science, in engineering is not to create good designs,. but to elminate neverwozzas with fatal flaws before you have spent three years on em.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But if they had a neat bit of evidence that they could publish that would prove their theory to be untrue, they'd publish it like a shot.

They'd get much more favorable publicity out of that than they could get from championing any existing theory.

If the board isn't working right, you can't look away, and nobody is going to be blindly admiring of a board that almost works right.

Threats to ideas don't come into it. You can't plug an idea into a test rig.

Flawed circuits are never beautiful.

It can take a while before your board gets the particular set of inputs that reveals the fatal flaw ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

What John Larkin means by "believable" is "presents stuff that lines up with John Larkin's preconceptions".

If he find's "Russia Today" believable, his preconceptions need revision - but this isn't going to happen.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to