OT: Art of Electronics, 3rd ed, for $59.96

Amazon is selling the Art of Electronics, 3rd ed, for $59.96, eligible for Prime free shipping. Hah, that's

50% of list, and about $12 less than the wholesale price, so they appear to be selling it at a loss. I ordered a copy last week and it was the 10th printing in perfect condition. This printing has been updated and is virtually free from errors. (Note, it was a genuine*** book, printed by Cambridge University Press in the US.)

They only let you order one copy, then you're locked from ordering any more directly from Amazon at that price. You also can't get more from them at a higher price (you can select "Other Sellers", higher prices). There's no saying how long they'll continue with this remarkable price; a short while ago they were selling it for $96 each. Hah, this low price has improved the Amazon Best Sellers Rank to #4,803 in all Books.

[*** As opposed one of the several low-cost Indian or Malaysian fake counterfeits, sold on Amazon at low prices. These were copied from a 1st-printing (with its errors, sorry), and they have horrible binding, binding spline page alignment, poor printing, faded photos, stuck pages, and several other serious flaws to spoil your experience.]
--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Thanks Win ! Got one coming.

boB K7IQ

Reply to
boB

Looks like they have a "rent a copy" thing? Interesting...

Reply to
bitrex

That's meant for students. Our previous experience is that students don't put their used copies up for sale.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I wish I could get it at that price here in India. Your post is an eye opener. I didn't know that previous printings had many errors, or that there are counterfeit prints.

I downloaded a pdf copy for a quick evaluation. I know that it must be a bootleg and I never intended to keep it to avoid buying the hard copy. I was surprised by the apparently poor print quality - reminds me of my old RCA tube and transistor manuals from the 60s.

It's currently offered at Amazon-India for the equivalent of about $67. It's not covered by Amazon Prime and there's no way of knowing if it's genuine or which printing.

Reply to
Pimpom

There's an errata list on our website. Most errors are minor and obvious, but a few are zingers.

There's also a new expanded index, plus a parts index, that you can download from our webpage.

The counterfeit problem is large and painful. But there aren't all that many serious errors, and the counterfeit print text is readable, despite poor binding and halftone pictures.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That price is only available to Prime members AIUI.

But it's not clear which Amazon sku # is the same printing.

Is "Learning the Art of Electronics: A Hands-On Lab Course 1st Edition" meant to go with the 3rd edition?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Win,

Thank you for letting us know about this offer. My copies of "AoE 3ed

10th printing with additions and corrections 2016" and "Learning the AoE Reprinted with corrections 2016" arrived earlier this week.

I love references that are chock full of useful information *and* can be used for self-defense.

I'm curious about this also. I couldn't find anything on Amazon.com that specifically tied the lab book specifically to AoE 3ed except its gold color, so I took a chance and ordered it. I still can't find anything in the book that says it's intended to be used with AoE 3ed ranther and (say) 2ed. I'm feeling a little dense this week -- am I missing something subtle here?

Frank McKenney

--
  I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if
  you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying

Great bullet stopper!

lunatic fringe electronics

I had my daughter order AoE with her prime account on the 22nd when the had an $8.62 discount. So I paid $51.34, it was my lucky day. Received it today, as you say 10th printing by Cambridge University Press. Thanks!

Mikek

amdx

Since Win brought this up.... Is there any projections on publication date for the X Chapters?

Reply to
Michael Elwood

We've still got 20-25% to finish. Masses of really good stuff already done, needs to get out there.

We're talking about a live online version that could be continuously updated as we finish the last portions, and add new stuff to the rest. This scheme would allow earlier publication, but brings into question issues about a printed book.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I quite understand why you say that, but in this case I suspect "sufficient" people will willingly pay for hardcopy even if downloads are available.

Of course the issue could be fudged by removing online versions once they've been proofread by millions of monkeys and the hardcopy is available.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I hear you. Online e-books should be digitally watermarked with the name of the purchaser visible in each copy, to discourage "sharing" and to assist in copyright prosecutions.

The books available from

are digitally generated with watermarking at the point of purchase. This seems like a no-brainer, yet very few e-book publishers have done it.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Yeah do that!!!! George H. (I'll add whatever small bit I know.)

Reply to
George Herold

I'd be happy to send you more money too... if that helps. say ~$100.

GH.

Reply to
George Herold

Interesting. An online book is different from an e-book, such as a pdf file, etc., because by its very nature, it's always up-to-date. Dunno what, if any, scheme would be used for off-line viewing.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Indeed, but are there any effective sanctions for someone that "shares" it via a website?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Maybe because the people who distribute pirate copies commercially can easily enough remove the watermark, and the people who don't sell the pirate copies commercially are either undeterred by the watermark (because they trust their friends) or they are not pirating enough books to be costing significant sales and/or not rich enough to be worth taking to court.

Making the watermark really hard to remove probably involves significnt investment and/or annoys the readers, perhaps to the extent of detracting from the content, rendering the book not worth pirating. (This reminds me of my worst car that was so bad that it was immune to theft.)

IMO watermarking / DRM stuff is mostly just annoying for the paying customers. I for one refuse to buy any DRMed files, but I spend a lot on books.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Given that everybody's books are available for download, the only significant difference is the delay. ;)

Cheers

Phil "widely pirated author" Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs