optical format

hi, Please let me know the meaning of optical format for a CMOS image sensor.

Thank you. CMOS.

Reply to
manusha

The dimensions (in pixels). The aspect ratio (like 4:3) The diagonal size (like 1/4 inch) The last is used to determine what size optics is needed to project an image onto the active imaging area.

If by "optical format" you mean something else, you must state it explicitly and not ask us to guess.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

if you can find a datasheet which defines the optical format please let me know Meindert .

Thank you.

Reply to
manusha

It is one of those terms that is in a sense pretty pointless!. It dates from older vidicon tubes. Basically, particular tube sizes had specified useable areas. Latter CCD, and then CMOS sensors, for reverse compatibility reasons, were specified in the old sizes. So a chip with a

1/3" 'optical format', will have an active area, directly comparable to the old 1/3" TV sensor tubes, and the active area will be comparable in size to all other chips specified the same way, no matter what the size of the actual 'package'.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Why don't you just pick a datasheet and start reading....

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang