Weller WTCPT/TC201 Soldering Station dieing

hey, anyone know what is the likely cause of the WTCPT/TC201 soldering station only getting slightly warm? It was working fine, now it just doesn't get hot anymore, just slightly warm to touch.

Reply to
bungalow_steve

The temperature is regulated by a mechanical switch; after a while the contacts will go, and things won't work.

You can get parts from Mouser, Digi-Key, all the usual suspects. I found that my iron was old enough that the new switch didn't fit my handle so I just bought a new handle & kept the old for spares (which I used on a friend's iron, so it worked out).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

thanks, when you say you bought a new handle do you mean the entire soldering iron ($73,at Mouser), the switch is $26, I don't see any other replacement parts offered (other then the heater)

have to say haven't had too much like with Weller lately, my other Weller soldering gun died last year only after 100 or so hours of use

Reply to
bungalow_steve

I paid $71 for my handle, so I think that's what you're calling the "iron".

That's too bad. I inherited my Weller station from my uncle when he passed away in late middle age. He'd been using it for years, and I've been using it off and on since then. I only had it break on me early this year, so it's done pretty well.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

"I paid $71 for my handle, so I think that's what you're calling the "iron". "

Ok, Mouser is calling it a iron in their catalog.

"That's too bad. I inherited my Weller station from my uncle when he passed away in late middle age. He'd been using it for years, and I've

been using it off and on since then. I only had it break on me early this year, so it's done pretty well. "

Sounds like you have a well made vintage model, mine is nearly new, this is only the forth project I'm using the WTCPT on, $71 is too much to fix it, I have a 40 year old radio shack soldering iron that still works. I'll open it up tonight to try to fix it, if I can't I'm going to toss it and look for something else.

Reply to
bungalow_steve

If it's nearly new then you probably only need the switch. Open up the handle and look.

The iron works by holding the switch closed with a magnet that is attracted to the tip. When the tip reaches it's Curie temperature the switch falls back into the open position. The base is just a big step-down transformer and a fuse.

I'd measure the switch resistance in the closed position; it should be way low. I'd also check all resistances into and out of the handle (mine also had a short which was blowing fuses) and check the voltages out of the base.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services