Data format of UWB radar

Hi, What is the data format of a UWB radar used for obstacle avoidance/detection? How does it pass information back to the user? Is it simply a boolean flag (obstacle detected/not detected), range, a range map, or something else? My goal is to be able to process this information on a computer in order to create a 3D model of the surrounding environment. I've read a lot about UWB radars, but this still eludes me. Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Lenny

There is probably no standard. If you want to interface to a specific UWB radar product, you must get information from the manufacturer. It's not as easy as GPS strings.

Reply to
John_H

Making a 3-D map from a radar is a fairly tricky process. Radars naturally have resolution only in range. To get resolution across range, you need an aperture. To get resolution in three dimensions, you need an aperture with extent in two dimensions.

Is this just a project or are you trying to accomplish a specific goal?

And have you considered LIDAR or ultrasonics?

Oh, are you thinking of something like a SAR map? If so, how will you form the aperture?

--Mac

Reply to
Mac