Disk format

(was Panasonic SA-HT1500, but nobody responded)

9 times out of 10 when switched on from standby, my Panasonic SA-HT1500 Home Cinema system immediately goes into HDD format mode and won't leave it until said format is performed.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? Could it be the HDD itself? It was suffering a lot of dropouts a while ago, so I stopped recording on it pending investigation.

--
Peter
Reply to

Ramsman wrote in news:SPnUs.67$ snipped-for-privacy@fx05.fr:

leave

HDD

A lousy harddisk, with some un-recoverable error on the first(few) tracks? That might tell the system that it is new, and has to initialyze. Of course it wants to finish that then.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:58:58 +0000, Ramsman put finger to keyboard and composed:

I would remove the HDD and connect it to your computer. Then run the manufacturer's diagnostics against it, eg SeaTools, Data LifeGuard. Use the DOS version of the diagnostic to ensure that Windows doesn't try to write a disk signature on the drive.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thank you, Sjouke and Frank, for confirming my suspicions. It will be a couple of weeks before I have time to work on the disk.

--
Peter
Reply to